Wacky E8400 CoreTemp and SpeedFan temps...

Saicho

Jan 29, 2008
GA-EP35-DS3R, E8400 + Tuniq tower 120 + AS5 in an Antec P182 running 64bit Vista.

I haven't changed any settings, I wanted to get a baseline before I started overclocking.

I have prime95 running and CoreTemp is showing 69 and 66 for my cores?!?!

SpeedFan is even wackier, with the +15 degree offset it is showing 70 and 60...

If I take the side of the case off the temps in CoreTemp drop to around 62 and 60.

It's a bit warm in this room but serriously! 69 degrees with an aftermarket HSF running on stock settings?!?

So after I saw it at 69 degrees, I decided to restart and see what the BIOS had to say. 15 seconds later I pull into the BIOS and the PC Health section reads that my CPU is at 45 degrees.

What numbers do I trust? I'm a bit new to overclocking so any advice will be helpful. Thanks!

Pantlegz

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2007
what thermal paste did you use?

I had similar issues becase I used some junk thermal paste. Might also want to make sure you don't have a fan 'fighting' the TT120 fan. I know it's not likely, but sometimes it happens. That and maybe make sure the thumb screws are tight, again they should be might wanna double check. Speed fan and everest both report correct temps for me with an e8400 and eVGA 780i board.

how do you get core temp to work in Vista64?!? aside from breaking driver signing?

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
What is your CPU temp? My CPU temp reads around 26/47 while my cores read 47/65. I don't pay attention to the core temps anymore on this CPU.

Saicho

Jan 29, 2008
Originally posted by: Pantlegz1
how do you get core temp to work in Vista64?!? aside from breaking driver signing?

I broke driver signing and I run it in administrator mode, I also uninstalled two Vista updates. I can't find the stuff I read about it, but this looks promising.

I used AS5, maybe I used too much? I can try to reapply it. Yea the tumb screws are tight, I put the HSF on the board before I put the whole thing in the case to make sure of it.

@Riverhound777 Where can I see the CPU temp? I think that is what is reported in the BIOS and it read 45 degrees right after 100% CPU usage for 30 mins.

What temps should I use? What is safe to see while overclocking?

aussiestilgar

Dec 2, 2007
Saicho, first try reseating your cooler, making sure than both the processor heatsink and the cooler heatsink are perfectly flat. Most likely you will get pretty much the same temperatures though. E8400s are well known to have temperature reporting issues (ie. a lot of them report too high). With a Tuniq sitting on it, you should be fine - as you start overclocking, I bet those temperatures will remain the same.

Saicho

Jan 29, 2008
Originally posted by: Riverhound777
Everest will show you the CPU temp. Just use the trial.

Alright, I will try that. What is the normal safe zone for CPU temp for the E8400?

@aussietilgar I will try reseating it, but I doubt it will help. I'll see how the temps work out with each overclock step, ty.

Germonicus

Dec 21, 2005
I've Been running my E8400 for a week (with the Thermalright ultra90i HSF) with a Scythe 120mm fan for first few days,then a 90mm Accoustifan due to not being able to refit the case sides with the larger fan.

With the 120mm I was getting readings of around 11c idle and 20c after runnning Prime95 for an hour.Replaced the fan today and the 90mm (with the sides back on my Coolermaster Praetorian) have gone up to 16c idle but not run Prime95 yet.

These temps seem VERY suspect to me but I can't be sure as this is my first ever Intel chip,I've had AMD's for the past 7 or 8 years which usually ran at around 37 - 42c.

I had a hard time finding any temp monitor software that would work at all,they kept throwing errors "Driver not detected" as soon as I ran them but then I found PC Probe II,which is what I'm getting the above results from (I have an Asus P5KC mobo).

Saicho

Jan 29, 2008
@Germonicus I guess we're in the same boat atm. I'll let you know what I figure out. Your temps seem way too low and mine seem way too high =)

I have a Gigabyte mobo so I doubt PC Probe II will work for me, but I'm going to try Everest when I get home. I'll let you know how it goes.

Saicho

Jan 29, 2008
Ok, I got Everest installed and it shows me the same sort of thing I've already mentioned.

For 100% usage non-overlocked:
For "CPU #1 / Core #1" it shows 68 degrees, the same temps that Core Temp was giving me.
For "Aux" (which I read somewhere is your CPU temp) it reads 44 degrees which is the same temperature that SpeedFan reads for "Temp1".

So...which temps do I consider while overlocking and how high can they go for my E8400?

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Saicho
Ok, I got Everest installed and it shows me the same sort of thing I've already mentioned.

For 100% usage non-overlocked:
For "CPU #1 / Core #1" it shows 68 degrees, the same temps that Core Temp was giving me.
For "Aux" (which I read somewhere is your CPU temp) it reads 44 degrees which is the same temperature that SpeedFan reads for "Temp1".

So...which temps do I consider while overlocking and how high can they go for my E8400?

AUX isn't your CPU temp.
what temps does your BIOS tell u? there should be two temps there, a CPU temp @ the IHS and a NB temp...

i don't know the safe ranges for the e8400, but for my Q6600 its 72C

Saicho

Jan 29, 2008
I don't see any of that in my BIOS.

There is:

System Temperature: 45
CPU Temperature: 52

aussiestilgar

Dec 2, 2007
That seems too high by about 15c, assuming your ambient in the room is about 25c. The upper range of the E8400 is 70-80c. I don't know if you can really trust those temperature readings.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Saicho
That 70-80 you are talking about is the core temp?

yes, my mobo faults at 85C for CPU itll just shut down

my 8400 @ 3.96 440x9 running 100% CPU never gets over 62C on either core in everest core is around that ill check when i get home, useing a Ultima 90 w/ 120mm Sflex

Saicho

Jan 29, 2008
Yeah, can you tell me what everest core temps show when you're running at 100% CPU @ 3.96? Also, what is your vcore?

Zapper48

Oct 7, 2007
I downloaded Speedfan Version 4.34 Beta 38 and the temps seem to be more inline with what's expected for 45nm. At least for me.