VW takes action to stem sales slide; aging product line blamed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
It's not an ageing product line, ITS PRODUCT QUALITY VW, CAN YOU HEAR ME!?
Yep....
VW: <sticking fingers in their ears> La lalalalalalallala alalallalalalla

They don't want to admit their lame Mexican production lines are costing them sales. Then they even overprice the mexican made products above what American/Japanese/German made products. (GTI vs Japanese made WRX) (Jetta vs. Ford Focus vs Honda Civic)

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Triumph
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
i know i'll get flamed for this, but man NFS4, you loooove posting every negative article you can find about VW. i don't mean negative as just a negative spin, but any article you can find that includes bad news. i just don't see you doing this as much for other manufacturers.

i mean, does this thread really need an "ALERT!!" icon?
As a mechanic I have seen first hand how bad VW/Audi is. In fact there was a recall on Audis the other day for them cathing on fire. Take a guess what, one of my customers audis caught on fire.

If YOU find any thing good about them then post it.
Easy enough:

Volkswagen is "The Most Trusted Brand" In Germany
GERMANY: German drivers rank German car brands bottom of customer satisfaction league

Dangit, article is gone...but VW was dead last
Exactly my point, NFS4. The article says, "German drivers rank Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen among the three worst brands in customer satisfaction, Automotive News Europe reported." MB right now is having quality issues as bad as, if not worse, than VW. The reputation of MB is leap years above any other manufacturer, making their issues all the more important. Yet I haven't seen any posts from you pointing to articles about MB's problems. You have some sort of axe to grind regarding VW's problems, and I'm curious why.
If you can afford the Benz you can afford the repairs;):p

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Originally posted by: N8Magic
HA HA! VW sucks and now they're paying the price.

They can blame the aging product lines all they want, but i'd be willing to bet that at least SOME of their dropping sales figures can be attributed to negative sentiment held by former VW owners. Word of mouth goes a long way, and I for one don't have a lot of good things to say about my former VW. :disgust:

Bingo. I tell people long and loud how bad ours was. 47K miles and it was falling apart, I would not even sell it to friends it was such a POS. Ended up getting a Accord with more miles and its twice the quality and car.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: NutBucket

wtf? if im paying so much for a car, i'd expect better quality...especially from a carmaker like MB

you guys can say..well same goes for VW since they are more expensive than hondas/toyotas/etc.

well personally, i havent had any major problems with my VW yet (and all the ones ive had, got fixed quickly by the dealer)
also, yes the VW's cost more than hondas or toyotas but the interior of a VW is a lot more refined IMO. and the drive and feel of a VW is lot better than that of a honda or a toyota or some other car maker. b4 i bought my GTI, i test drove the Civic Si, Focus SVT, protoge5, and some other cars. i liked the feel in teh VW the best. and the interior was worlds better than the other cars in its class

edited for coming off too harsh

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Aharami

wtf? if im paying so much for a car, i'd expect better quality...especially from a carmaker like MB

you guys can say..well same goes for VW since they are more expensive than hondas/toyotas/etc.

well personally, i havent had any major problems with my VW yet (and all the ones ive had, got fixed quickly by the dealer)
also, yes the VW's cost more than hondas or toyotas but the interior of a VW is a lot more refined IMO. and the drive and feel of a VW is lot better than that of a honda or a toyota or some other car maker. b4 i bought my GTI, i test drove the Civic Si, Focus SVT, protoge5, and some other cars. i liked the feel in teh VW the best. and the interior was worlds better than the other cars in its class

edited for coming off too harsh
You're not buying a MB for "quality" per se. You buy it because of status, luxury, etc. BMW has quality problems as well. In the early 90's the 4L V8 was sold with a sleeveless aluminum block. Needless to say, it quickly developed rough idle problems because the cylinder bores became ovaloids. No, this is not a load of bs.

I am not under the impression that a Benz is mechanically any better of a car then a Honda. If you are then enjoy your MB:)

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
No one here complains about MB because no one cares. We can't afford one regardless of whether or not they are trash so it isn't a concern.

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
Why do you guys keep using all this logical, statistical reliability bullcrap to dis' VW?

My friendz say that VW is super reliable because it is german made and they are all enginers who build stuff really good. People keeps JEttas in there family for 3 generationz. U mean 2 tell me you would buy a crappy Jap car or American POS over a VW? Pleez.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
U mean 2 tell me you would buy a crappy Jap car or American POS over a VW?
I'm detecting some sarcasm, but that's a joke right? Maybe you haven't been paying attention lately, but the term "POS" belongs right next to the name "VW" as far as many of their new cars are concerned. Being a German car has nothing to do with it, just ask Gold owners whose cars were built in Mexico...

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Redhotjrm
Why do you guys keep using all this logical, statistical reliability bullcrap to dis' VW?

My friendz say that VW is super reliable because it is german made and they are all enginers who build stuff really good. People keeps JEttas in there family for 3 generationz. U mean 2 tell me you would buy a crappy Jap car or American POS over a VW? Pleez.
The Passat is their only good car because it is indeed made in Germanyand of higher quality parts... The Jetta/Bettle/Golfs are made in good ole Mexico. And there within relies the problem.....QUALITY. Their cars do indeed have great interior though and all of them STILL have a great style to them. Nothing is "aging" that is just plain stupid to say their designs are aging. Its just things like Windows not working anymore, cars stalling dead in the road, speakers on the Monsoon sound system just stop working.
They save all this money by using cheap labor and then sacrificing the quality of the parts that the user of the car doesn't see (clips, connectors, etc....) and still charge the higher prices say as if they were made elsewhere besides Mexico. Its all just boils down to the greed of the people who are running VW. (How can we make it cheaper....How can we make it cheaper....How can we make it cheaper)
They are asking the wrong questions of their own company just like many failures of the business world do.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Chadder007

The Passat is their only good car because it is indeed made in Germany... The Jetta/Bettle/Golfs are made in good ole Mexico. And there within relies the problem.....QUALITY. Their cars do indeed have great interior though and all of them STILL have a great style to them. Nothing is "aging" that is just plain stupid to say their designs are aging. Its just things like Windows not working anymore, cars stalling dead in the road, speakers on the Monsoon sound system just stop working.
They save all this money by using cheap labor and then sacrificing the quality of the parts that the user of the car doesn't see (clips, connectors, etc....) and still charge the higher prices say as if they were made elsewhere besides Mexico. Its all just boils down to the greed of the people who are running VW. (How can we make it cheaper....How can we make it cheaper....How can we make it cheaper)
They are asking the wrong questions of their own company just like many failures of the business world do.
Yeah right. My friends' Passat has been nothing but trouble. 2k1 Passat 1.8t

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Chadder007

The Passat is their only good car because it is indeed made in Germany... The Jetta/Bettle/Golfs are made in good ole Mexico. And there within relies the problem.....QUALITY. Their cars do indeed have great interior though and all of them STILL have a great style to them. Nothing is "aging" that is just plain stupid to say their designs are aging. Its just things like Windows not working anymore, cars stalling dead in the road, speakers on the Monsoon sound system just stop working.
Yeah right. My friends' Passat has been nothing but trouble. 2k1 Passat 1.8t
That may be true that the Passat is still not great....but it is sadly the best they make still.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
TOP Picks of CR still has the Passat. I rest my case of it being the best of VW. (The VR6 model is at least)
http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=2893&src=msn

"Consumer Reports' new group of Top Picks reflects important changes in the marketplace in performance, reliability, interior fit and finish, and versatility," said David Champion, senior director of Consumer Reports' Auto Test facility in East Haddam, Connecticut. "We expect to see this trend continue as more new vehicles hit the market and manufacturers compete ever more aggressively."

The Top Picks are:

Small Sedan Ford Focus
Family Sedan Honda Accord (4-cylinder)
Volkswagen Passat (6-cylinder)
Upscale Sedan Acura TL
Luxury Car Lexus LS 430
Fun to Drive Ford Focus SVT
Small SUV Subaru Forester
Midsized SUV Lexus RX 330
3-Row SUV Honda Pilot
Minivan Toyota Sienna
Green Car Toyota Prius

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
i know i'll get flamed for this, but man NFS4, you loooove posting every negative article you can find about VW. i don't mean negative as just a negative spin, but any article you can find that includes bad news. i just don't see you doing this as much for other manufacturers.

But dealers didn't get everything they wanted. VW refused to accelerate the U.S. introductions of the redesigned Jetta and Passat, scheduled for 2005. VW plans to launch the Passat in Germany this year.
That's probably a good thing. Delayed launch so they can work more bugs out. Plus launching early in Europe means they should have data on what to fix before a US launch. Theoretically.
He does the same to Nissan.
But in this case, VW does suck, as far as reliability goes :p
My cousin's Passat was nothing but electrical problems.

ITJunkie

Platinum Member
Apr 17, 2003
www.techange.com

As a mechanic I have seen first hand how bad VW/Audi is. In fact there was a recall on Audis the other day for them cathing on fire. Take a guess what, one of my customers audis caught on fire.

Easy enough:

Volkswagen is "The Most Trusted Brand" In Germany
Well duh...who gives a sh*t what they think about it in Germany. ;)

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
yeah they make cheap turbo cars which means they can be easily modified.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
I don't know much about the new VWs but I had an 87 Jetta and it was a great car. I would still be driving it now if some b!tch didn't decide it would be a good idea to take a left into on coming traffic. Also, one of my best friends (28yrs old) is driving the bug that he was driven home from the hospital in.

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
Originally posted by: azazyel
I don't know much about the new VWs but I had an 87 Jetta and it was a great car. I would still be driving it now if some b!tch didn't decide it would be a good idea to take a left into on coming traffic. Also, one of my best friends (28yrs old) is driving the bug that he was driven home from the hospital in.
the older VW stuff will sadly outlast their newer vehicles.

ASK THE COMMUNITY