VRAM power and heat

Vegasus

Jul 27, 2016
How much does video RAM contribute to the power consumption and heat generation of a graphics card? Does the power reading in MSI Afterburner measure the entire card or just the GPU? As VRAM gets hot, how much does it heat up the GPU? Where is the thermistor on a graphics card located?

I recently told Afterburner it could make the core clock, memory clock and the power consumption normal/stock, but it had to keep the temperature down to 60C. It responded to this by lowering the core clock but not the memory clock. How did it decide that? Does it mean VRAM doesn't contribute much to heat? I also recently upgraded my graphics card driver and Afterburner version. Previously I could cut the memory clock to half of stock but now I can only lower it to 87.5% of stock. Why would it limit that?

To specify, my card is an RX 480, the driver is 17.7.2 and the Afterburner is 4.4 beta 15. Perhaps my situation is pretty specific, but I'm still curious to know the above answers for more general knowledge.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I read somewhere that the 8gb of GDDR5X on Nvidia card is around 20 watts max.