• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

VR Sales adjusted down again *Update*

Feb 4, 2009
Lets discuss

SuperData's revised forecast for 2016 calls for under 750k PlayStation VR units sold (their previous estimate was 2.6 million) with Google's Daydream selling just 261k (down from 450k). Previous estimates for HTC Vive, Oculus Rift and Gear VR remain unchanged at 450k, 355k and 2.3 million, respectively.
http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/news.cfm?read=42296&ismb=1

I've believed that most VR solutions are too isolating. I wouldn't use one simply because it removes me from life too much, I know it would irritate my fiancee and lets be honest you look like a dork with them on.
If I had kids I couldn't imagine buying one. I will say if it cost in the $100 range and I didn't need a high end video card my opinion could change.

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I know it would irritate my fiancee and lets be honest you look like a dork with them on.
My wife and I take turns with it at least every other night. We spectate, coach, comment, etc while the other is playing. It's the best time we have spent together with video games, of which there is a lot over the years

Also, really? You care what you look like? I'm sure you look like a dork playing computer games too.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
My wife and I take turns with it at least every other night. We spectate, coach, comment, etc while the other is playing. It's the best time we have spent together with video games, of which there is a lot over the years

Also, really? You care what you look like? I'm sure you look like a dork playing computer games too.
Just out of curiosity, would you have whatever is being played into the headset be duplicated to a monitor so the other can see? is that even possible?

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Just out of curiosity, would you have whatever is being played into the headset be duplicated to a monitor so the other can see? is that even possible?
Yes, it duplicates it on the monitor of your computer. Or, in our case, it is duplicated on a 55" TV.

Edit: For us, it's just like the groups you see at the end of the Vive launch video:

Last edited:

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Tossing out so many different versions certainly doesn't help especially when it splits the gaming community at times for some games.

Feb 4, 2009
Tossing out so many different versions certainly doesn't help especially when it splits the gaming community at times for some games.
Don't forget all the $50 phone versions too. I'm sure the all suck and will turn people off

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Give it 2-3 years. VR headsets with a resolution/image that is as clear as a monitor now. Increased field of view. And iron out some inconveniences like SDE, lower resolution, "god rays etc."... I GUARANTEE you, whether you "look like a dork" or whatever won't matter anymore.

A good example, some years back when we (wife and me) religiously played WoW, very involved with having a guild etc.

NOW, imagine that you don't just "play WoW" (or whatever game) but you are *really there* together with your guild mates etc, *INSIDE* the world. You look around and you see the guys you play with. You look and see mountains on the horizon etc. If the current shortcomings of VR are gone, it will revolutionize gaming so that in 3-10??? years people will laugh remembering the time when they played a game on a tiny, flat screen in front of them. I am 100% convinced of this.

The rest, the look, comfort, convenience, even the way how the images may be generated...it's all technical matters that can be solved in time.
The difference of playing a game like now "on a screen" and actually being *inside* the game is so big that I cannot, ever, see VR becoming a fluke like 3DTV sort-of was.

As for the "isolating" argument....remember what people said in the early days of computers. Now, people can spend their day with other people in MMORPGs etc...or socialize on social networks. If you ask me, a good online game BEATS "socializing" like in the good ol' days where you went into a bar or "club" to "socialize" by miles. Means that the isolating argument sort-of doesn't count, from that perspective. People also isolate themselves eg. watching TV etc..the difference is not that big, IMO.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Give it 2-3 years. VR headsets with a resolution/image that is as clear as a monitor now. Increased field of view. And iron out some inconveniences like SDE, lower resolution, "god rays etc."... I GUARANTEE you, whether you "look like a dork" or whatever won't matter anymore.

A good example, some years back when we (wife and me) religiously played WoW, very involved with having a guild etc.

NOW, imagine that you don't just "play WoW" (or whatever game) but you are *really there* together with your guild mates etc, *INSIDE* the world. You look around and you see the guys you play with. You look and see mountains on the horizon etc. If the current shortcomings of VR are gone, it will revolutionize gaming so that in 3-10??? years people will laugh remembering the time when they played a game on a tiny, flat screen in front of them. I am 100% convinced of this.

The rest, the look, comfort, convenience, even the way how the images may be generated...it's all technical matters that can be solved in time.
The difference of playing a game like now "on a screen" and actually being *inside* the game is so big that I cannot, ever, see VR becoming a fluke like 3DTV sort-of was.

As for the "isolating" argument....remember what people said in the early days of computers. Now, people can spend their day with other people in MMORPGs etc...or socialize on social networks. If you ask me, a good online game BEATS "socializing" like in the good ol' days where you went into a bar or "club" to "socialize" by miles. Means that the isolating argument sort-of doesn't count, from that perspective. People also isolate themselves eg. watching TV etc..the difference is not that big, IMO.
I completely agree, thats why in 1-2 even 3 if i have to wait that long years when the next gen VR hits im building a new rig specifically for VR.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Very Interested in VR, Dactyl Attack in arcades years ago while not great was something everybody back then should have tried.. and that's what, 15 years ago? Took them a long time (price, i get it, and crap refresh rates). VR is not going to take off till there is a GAME to play, right now its tech demo's with a few games a bit better then the shovel ware the Wii had. There are some pretty impressive games "ported" to sorta work with it that show some glimpse of what it could be. Hardware needs software to sell it, not tech demos. its no surprise its not doing as good as people thought. There have been some OK games that show it off, but again games made to "show off" hardware are missing the point, your not supposed to make the game work with the hardware, your supposed to make a game that the hardware enhances the game. I use the Wii as an example, gesture controls worked wonders for some games., but playing Metroid, they added a mechanic to open doors, grab twist and pull, THE ONLY reason to have that in the game was to find a way to use the Wiimote, it had ZERO to do with gameplay and it slowed the game down. Right now they need to find ways games are better with VR, not just "look it works in VR". All just opinions and I am a HUGE fan of VR and cant wait till something makes me say "i have to have that". and it will come as long as VR doesn't completely stall with the crap its being pushed with right now.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
If I could simply wear it and jump in a battlefield game or a game of rocketleague and just have it work, then I might go for it. But I'd stop using it I already know. I don't want that thing strapped to my face. I just don't.

WhiteNoise

Jun 22, 2016
I like the idea of VR but most games I have seen don't impress me enough to make me want to spend the money; and I LOVE spending money on technology. Sony's VR is tempting but at $399 nope. The only other VR tech that interests me is OR but again...costs way too much. I already use head tracking software for game that take advantage of it like racing sims and ARMA. Sure head tracking is no where near the same but it is a good in-between for the time being.

Feb 4, 2009
Old post bump:
Interesting I wouldn’t have guessed Sony would be in the lead.

I appear to be spot on about people not enjoying the cheap VR headsets.
I still feel they are too isolating for me to use. I know one person who owns oculus but that is all.
I still feel VR is gimmicky.

What’s everyone’s current opinion?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Ive never personally used a modern VR headset, and honestly I really have no inclination to try.

Maybe I'm just getting old or something, but it feels like the 3d TV thing part 2. It's something that a very niche audience is really into, and everyone in the industry is trying to make it a thing, but it's never really going to have broad support.

Nintendo needs to do VR, then we'll see the tech really put through the paces.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
What would be the best vr game out at the moment? I'd kind of want one once they get less bulky and if my back continues to give me issues from sitting and i could use it as a monitor while lying on my back (? does that make sense)

Feb 4, 2009
What would be the best vr game out at the moment? I'd kind of want one once they get less bulky and if my back continues to give me issues from sitting and i could use it as a monitor while lying on my back (? does that make sense)
From the oculus I tried out laying down would be awkward.
A reclining chair where your head is free to move might work.

Reactions: KMFJD

CropDuster

Jan 2, 2014
Personally, I don't see the point of VR outside of flight/race sims. My HP Reverb is awesome in IL2 and DCS

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I have an HTC Vive Pro and an Oculus Quest. Obviously, the two have their own uses as the prior is a bit more expensive and has better audio-visual quality. However, given that the Quest is extremely portable, it makes it rather easy to show people, and the response is usually quite good. I'll usually have people ask me about the price, and I try to stress that it's an "out-of-the-box experience price" meaning they don't need a computer to run it.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I have a cv1 rift.
I rarely use it because it is so isolating. The dog will wander up and want attention, and I can't give it, or I'm afraid I might hurt him flailing around. The wife I'm less worried about. She can defend herself. I basically have to wait until she is home and the dog it up with her to play. Plus there aren't enough games I can play without having to run around and jump. A lot of the time I just want to sit and chill.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'd recommend Arizona Sunshine and Lone Echo. The former isn't anything that special but I think it's pretty good for VR; Lone Echo is very good. I'd recommend Skyrim VR too but I just don't have enough playtime in it to really give a respectable opinion (about an hour).

The upcoming Walking Dead VR game looks absolutely excellent. Here's a preview of it from Node.

Reactions: KMFJD
Oct 9, 1999
Echo Combat is a great game, have spent tons of hours in that, it's mulitplayer. The single player I hear is great too.

ASK THE COMMUNITY