vpr matrix 200A5 or Apple powerbook?

din2din

Nov 9, 2002
I ahve always been a windows user and was looking for a good gaming, video, audio and school work laptop. I came across this Best Buy's new brand of notebooks, vpr matrix( www.vprmatrix.com). Man the specs on the 200A5 notebook were just awesome. But I just wanted to know if someone who has bought the notebook and thinks that its a good buy. Well my other choice was the powerbook G4. But I haven't been that comfortable with mac. But this machine too is really good. But I am more comfortable with windows.
So please do tell me if the vpr matrix thing is worth the money or not?

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: din2din
I ahve always been a windows user and was looking for a good gaming, video, audio and school work laptop. I came across this Best Buy's new brand of notebooks, vpr matrix( www.vprmatrix.com). Man the specs on the 200A5 notebook were just awesome. But I just wanted to know if someone who has bought the notebook and thinks that its a good buy. Well my other choice was the powerbook G4. But I haven't been that comfortable with mac. But this machine too is really good. But I am more comfortable with windows.
So please do tell me if the vpr matrix thing is worth the money or not?

Pros of VPR:
1) Faster.
2) It's good if you like the Windows OS.
3) It's cheaper

Cons of VPR:
1) It's one pound heavier
2) Dunno, but probably shorter battery life. (Even if the battery were the same size, the P4M uses more power.)
3) No DVD burner
4) Dunno, but it probably doesn't have POWERED 1394 Firewire ports.
5) Smaller hard drive.

I ordered the Mac myself but I wanted the DVD burner, the lighter weight, and powered Firewire. Also, I'm comfortable with Macs and I had a few hundred bux extra to blow. :D

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Maximum PC just reviewed this notebook. Forget the exact rating, but it was an 8 or 9 I am pretty sure. Battery life was good from what i heard. I also read reviews of this on cnet and 83% gave it a thumbs up, should have been more then that since a couple people somehow clicked thumbs down, but then gave a glowing review. One problem I saw more then once was that the keyboard is a little flimsy(maybe even not put together well), another is that the bottom can get a little hot. And according to max PC, it didn't perform up to par in the quake 3 benchmark. They were unable to run the test on the notebook monitor as it didn't support that resolution of the test, but they ran in on the notebook with an external monitor and it manages like 38FPS or something, it was like 40% slower then the zero point system. But they still seemed to like it. I am also considering it. The price is nice especially since they seem to be rebating it quite a bit right now.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
if this is the vpr w/ the wide screen, it looks pretty good.

i've seen a couple at best buy and i was impressed with the look of the screen. BUT it's more because of the ratio than the size. it isn't really that much bigger than a 15" laptop screen. mb a bit wider but shorter.