VPN - which software to use?

ringtail

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2012
Do you recommend any particular VPN software for use on Windows 7 Pro SP1 with Firefox?

NOTE:
I put this in the Security forum but after a few days nobody will answer. That's only reason for posting same question here. Don't intend to cross-post.

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
You probably didn't receive an answer as your question is too vague.

What are you trying to do? VPN clients must connect to a VPN server/gateway, and that gateway will have a bearing on the client you end up going with. Windows 7 comes with a VPN client, which may or may not be suitable for your needs.

If you're looking for a VPN service, there are a ton of service providers which either have their own preconfigured client, or will provide settings for you to use with some popular VPN clients.

oynaz

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
That sound - unusual. Can you tell us what you do? It's OK, I am a very nosy person.

But to answer you:
For VPN to work, you need someone at the other end. You cannot simply VPN into nothing.
It sounds like you want a web-based VPN service. Tunnelbear, for instance. That assumes that the ones monitoring you do not have monitoring software on your machine, which they very well might have.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
There are only a few VPNs that will not turn your information over to LEO. There is little point of VPN if they will just hand over your address when asked. I use PrivateInternetAccess and it's been very reliable although even US access points get blocked occasionally when I'm trying to dl drivers or something. I've got other machines that are not on VPN for those times.

Personally my days of thwarting the law are far past but as you read the news you can't help but feel like a roach scurrying to escape the government's flashlight.

http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-that-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2013-edition-130302/