VPN that can be used on a standard user account?

Duckrabbit

Jan 2, 2017
I work on the go frequently, and thus am subject to all the potential problems with using insecure wifi. So I use a VPN as a layer of defense. But I've never been able to get one to work on a standard user account. Has anyone else found a solution to this?

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I don't know. I always use an Admin account so I never had any issues.

And no, I never get malware and crap because of the Admin. account. I just know how to do things. Herdprotect, Freefixer and all the rest never shows anything.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I work on the go frequently, and thus am subject to all the potential problems with using insecure wifi. So I use a VPN as a layer of defense. But I've never been able to get one to work on a standard user account. Has anyone else found a solution to this?

I never had a problem with PIA's VPN and standard user accounts on OS X or Windows 7/10.

-KeithP

ConstParam

Apr 26, 2017
I never had a problem with PIA's VPN and standard user accounts on OS X or Windows 7/10.

-KeithP

Ditto. I run PIA on a standard Win 10 account without issues. Likewise for ibVPN (though I do prefer PIA for its simplicity).

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
That

is so lucky of you. Because i have a admin vpn account and my PC got attacked by the recent ransomware attack which effect the world on 12 may-17.
In short a vpn doesn't protect you from smart hackers
What would make you think a VPN can protect you from hackers?
That is not the purpose of a VPN.

ConstParam

Apr 26, 2017
That

is so lucky of you. Because i have a admin vpn account and my PC got attacked by the recent ransomware attack which effect the world on 12 may-17.
In short a vpn doesn't protect you from smart hackers

A VPN can be used to hide your online activities from your ISP, it can be used to hide your identity from any sites you visit, it can be used to secure your transmissions on a public WiFi network, it can be used to get around censorship and geo-blocking.

What a VPN will not do is protect you from ransomware. Anything you download to your computer, you download to your computer (be it a binary file or the contents of a website). If whatever you download is infected with ransomware or any other computer virus, the end result will be exactly the same regardless of whether you use a VPN or not.

PeterRoss

May 31, 2017
VPN encrypts your data, increases security in privacy a little bit, but that is pretty much it. If you downloading something, doesn't matter if its proxy, VPN or anything else, it just how it works.

As for the original question, There is no reason a VPN shouldn't work on a normal user account instead of administrators. Unless VPN for some reason needs admin access to do some functions, you should be good to go. (Usually VPN's do not need admin access to work)

PeterRoss

May 31, 2017
Well depending on the VPN it can also encrypt and hide your data. It will not hide the amount of data, but the data itself can be. Obviously, it doesn't check for viruses or scans during browsing and so on, so it won't help against threats.