VPN server & streaming media outside the US

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Hi all,

I'm doing a thought experiment here as I'm leaving the US in about 2 months for a 9 month stint in Guatemala for work. Obviously there's a myriad of challenges facing me ahead, but I'd like to get my Netflix / Hulu / media streaming situation solved before I leave. Since I won't be able to access these services from Guatemala, I need a reliable way to maintain a US IP address anytime I'm in my apartment on any of my 4-5 devices I'll be bringing with me. My techy level in this area is beginner-intermediate, so I'd like to pose my situation to you experts and see if you have any feedback.

My media streaming devices will generally be limited to my PS3 and to a Chromecast that I just purchased. I'll likely have a broadband connection (5/1) with a wireless router that I'll either bring with me or will be provided.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Raspberry Pi and setting it up as a VPN server at my brother's house perpetually connected to his FIOS home internet. With a combo of port forwarding and DynDNS, I'll be able to connect a PC or mobile device directly to the Raspberry Pi where I shouldn't have much of an issue with streaming Netflix and Hulu.

What I'd like to do, however, is set it so the router that's either provided to me or the router I bring is routing every packet through the VPN server in the States. That should, in theory, allow me to use the PS3 or Chromecast for streaming video to my TV, right? I've done some research on accomplishing this using DD-WRT firmware on an advanced router, but is it a simple task? Obviously in this case I'd probably have to buy one capable of being flashed to this firmware before I go. What would happen though if I arrive at my apartment and there's a building-wide wifi connection that I have no control over... Am I able to still work around it in some way to get my PS3 & Chromecast working? Am I vastly over-thinking this and there's a much easier way to go about watching US streaming channels on my TV?

Thank you guys for reading my wall of text. Any ideas would be very helpful.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I live in China and use a VPN service called Astrill. It has a very nice and easy to use interface that installs right into DD-WRT. I use it to stream Hulu and Netflix all the time.

The real benefit to the router solution is that everything that connects to the router can use the VPN. So no worrying about individual items.

Note - some devices like an iPAD may use location services instead of the IP address.

www.astrill.com

Michael

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Fair warning, this type of circumvention is definitely against the TOS of Netflix/Hulu/etc and potentially against the TOS of your home ISP (if you set up your own private VPN).

That being said, it's probably easiest to go with a paid service like Michael pointed out instead of setting up your own. If you lose power and something needs to be reset/restarted at home while you're gone, you're out of luck. With a paid service there's at least some level of support.

If there's only building-wide wifi, these services should still provide a software VPN client for your PC that would still work for the Chromecast, your PS3 would probably be out of luck at that point without some higher level networking kung fu.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Perfect, thanks guys. I think I'll go with one of the paid services. Coupled with a Slingbox at my brother's, I should be well on my way to enjoying US shows in Central America. :)