VPN & open connection states

OogyWaWa

Jan 20, 2009
Quick question about VPN and open states...

Let's say I'm connected to a VPN who is trunking all entire internet connection... all the requests out to the world are coming through the connection on their end... into our vpn tunnel and back to me.

Now, every time I make a new request, that should be sent to via my vpn, trunked at their end the request forwarded out to the world...

When this happens, is there a new open state on my end as well? That is to say, for every connection I open (new HTTP session... new ftp session, etc.), does that create a new open state on my router? Or is everything being sent through a single encrypted connection?

For what it is worth, I'm only concerned with what is happening on my router, not my individual PC(s).

What I'm trying to determine is this:
Some routers can only handle so many open connections before they fall over...
If everything is being trunked at your router, then you could be at risk if you don't control them somehow. However, I'm thinking if everything is going through the VPN, from the router's POV, that might be just one heavy connection it has to managed...? Or am i just wrong :)

Cliffs:
Home<->VPN<->Internet
New connections to the internet
Does that instantiate new state on my router's route table
OR
Is everything sent through the single VPN open connection?

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Is it a software client VPN on your PC, or is it a point to point VPN between your router and the service?