VPN noob, have some questions

Dujith

Jun 9, 2013
Hello,

My network knowledge is pretty basic and till now the hardest thing i had todo was creating firewall rules :biggrin:

Now here is my situation:
I have installed a network PBX (NCP500) and it runs perfectly with the incoming lines (SIP Trunk) and the IP telephones in its own network.
Also in the PBX there are 2 SIP licences that will allow me to register a SIP phone to the PBX. This also works in its own network.

Now i wanted to make it so that 1 person could use their android phone to connect to the PBX from the outside and call that way. Only to find out after much trail and error that SIP and NAT just wont work. Internal it will connect, external the PBX just wont allow it cuz the NAT does some funky stuff with the SIP register.

Anyway, 1 way around this seems to be to use a VPN connection.
After a bit of Googling i'm more confused then before. :\

So far my understanding is this:
- VPN is a direct tunnel to my network secured by whatever security i assign to it
- So in essence if i setup a VPN on an Android device it will work as if from my own network?
- The VPN must be setup in a different subnet then my own network? Seems that way from the test i did on my own router (engenius esr600h)

Many more questions, but is there a step for step guide out there for idiots?

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I'm not entirely sure about the subnets and all that, but a VPN should work since it will access your network and bypass firewall, etc. Posting your hardware would be a good idea for others to help.

Dujith

Jun 9, 2013
Busy busy busy.

The story so far:
Bought 2 Mikrotik RB750UP boards and have 1 setup as PPTP server and the other as client. I followed all the steps in their wiki and i can ping and see the network i am connection too.

Network stuff is working great and i can program the NCP500 from anywhere if i just use the VPN.

The phone registers perfectly and i can make a call. Only problem now is the audio is 1 way (from network to outside)

Been banging my head against this. Is there something simple i am missing?

Edit: found out that i cannot ping from the other side to me.... anyone here have experience with Mikrotik?

Last edited: