VP Picks

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
As we get closer to the national conventions the guessing game as to who will be Romney's VP is going strong.

So, let's join the fun.

Without getting into the "whys", could you give us your recommendations to who you would LIKE to see as his VP and then who THINK he will choose.

I'll start.

I would love to see Luis G. Fortuno, Governor of Puerto Rico as the VP nominee.

I believe Romney will pick Marco Rubio of Florida.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
You're not going to see anyone with national ambition take the VP spot. Running as VP now means that either 1) you were part of a losing presidential campaign, or 2) that you won't be able to run for president yourself until 2020. That means no Rubio, no Mitch Daniels, no Christie, etc.

Since they learned from the McCain campaign not to go for the fringe nutcase, they're going to instead pick someone who's already reached their peak and a very safe pick. (i.e. the Rob Portmans and Joe Bidens of the world)

Be prepared to yawn at the pick.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Plus it has to be someone that doesn't "outshine" Romney. Which means it has to be someone very boring.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Studies have repeatedly shown that it isn't likely to make a big difference whomever he picks. And that if it does make a difference, it will be in a negative direction.

IOW, VP picks can harm a candidate (if you pick an unqualified corrupt idiot, such as Sarah Palin) but not really help them much.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Plus it has to be someone that doesn't "outshine" Romney. Which means it has to be someone very boring.

The fact that McCain picked Palin last time specifically to avoid making a "boring" pick and it bit him in the ass, I'd say that's a good reason Romney will go with boring this time.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
buzz seems strongest around Portman.

my guess: whoever it is, they'll be a "do no harm" boring white guy, probably a current or former Governor, and not an attempt to win some specific demographic (like a female or hispanic pick)

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I still think it's going to be Rubio, he's a good choice and the small amount of dirt the Democrat operatives have dug up on him is really weak. I'd like to see Christie, he could do a huge diet thing and tie it to the Federal Government losing weight and cutting fat the same time he shapes up.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
the problem with Rubio is that he's really untested on the national stage... and I'd think the Romney campaign would be smart enough to know that picking a Cuban from Florida as your VP isn't going to translate into Mexicans in Colorado voting for you.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
the problem with Rubio is that he's really untested on the national stage... and I'd think the Romney campaign would be smart enough to know that picking a Cuban from Florida as your VP isn't going to translate into Mexicans in Colorado voting for you.

It's true he is as untested as Obama and that's proven disastrous for our country, but he's only going to be the VP so he'll have time to learn. Hispanics don't vote in some mythical "Hispanic block" they're much too intelligent for that.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Good grief. No one what's to commit to a guess?

Pussies.

If you want a serious guess, I'd agree and say Rubio is his best pick for a number of reasons. However, I have serious doubt that Rubio will take it, particularly given where he is in his political career. It's too soon for him, and this particular election is not his best opportunity.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
If you want a serious guess, I'd agree and say Rubio is his best pick for a number of reasons. However, I have serious doubt that Rubio will take it, particularly given where he is in his political career. It's too soon for him, and this particular election is not his best opportunity.

I have need for "whys". I just thought it would be interesting to get other's guesses of who.

I gave my pick as to who I would like to see. I gave my pick of who I thought he would pick.

No reasons, just a desire and a guess.

I guess that was too much for this crowd.