Voting machine manufacturer’s lawsuits thread

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Good. These people, especially the news networks should have their feet held to the fire and hit their bottom line so maybe they'll think twice before engaging in damaging and dangerous "news" reporting.

Reactions: hal2kilo

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
LOL just found out the judge who ruled against Powell, Lindell and Giuliani is a Trump appointee. It's amazing how many judges appointed by Trump are "in on it." If Trump is the genius they think he is, why wasn't he aware that pretty much all the judges he appointed were in on this conspiracy against him?

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
They just pivot from Trump the small-g god to Trump the Oppressed, Trump the down-but-not-out Hero, victim of the nasssty, nasssty evil Democrats. And RINOs, which is anyone who says anything not resembling a butt-smooching.

It kind of shows just how far out there the GOP politicians have gotten. And it's in response to their constituencies, which are basically nuts. "ordinary" so-called Conservative judges and other officials, who don't have to be getting votes from rubes, still sometimes stand up for the rule of law.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
LOL just found out the judge who ruled against Powell, Lindell and Giuliani is a Trump appointee. It's amazing how many judges appointed by Trump are "in on it." If Trump is the genius they think he is, why wasn't he aware that pretty much all the judges he appointed were in on this conspiracy against him?
You're playing 3D chess with a guy that's barely proficient in setting up the checkers board.
How's is he supposed to know he doesn't "own" those judges.
/s

Nov 17, 2019
Why wouldn't they do what I say if I appointed them. They'll be so eternally grateful and beholding to me bigly, they'll always do what I say and rule in my favor because if it wasn't for me they wouldn't have been appointed, so of course they'll always do what I want because there's no reason for them not to.

Feb 4, 2009
Why wouldn't they do what I say if I appointed them. They'll be so eternally grateful and beholding to me bigly, they'll always do what I say and rule in my favor because if it wasn't for me they wouldn't have been appointed, so of course they'll always do what I want because there's no reason for them not to.

Such a dummy. It is not a normal employment contract. They are judges until impeached or they retire
There is nothing the bossman can do about it.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
If they're still in business and able to spew their filth, it wasn't enough.

Dominion has now added Newsmax and OAN as defendants.

Was wondering when they'd get around to that.
So, is Dominions latest lawsuit against Newsmax different than the one referenced above?
It's getting really hard to keep track of all the suits & counter suits.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
So, is Dominions latest lawsuit against Newsmax different than the one referenced above?
It's getting really hard to keep track of all the suits & counter suits.

No, not the same. The lawsuit that settled in May was filed against Newsmax by Eric Coomer, who is now a former employee of Dominion. Coomer individually was defamed by various defendants. He seems to have settled his case before his former employer sued Newsmax.

Reactions: Spacehead

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You joke, but this is probably how he views things. Because of his psychopathy he most likely thinks that because he did them a favor by making them a judge, they owe him ruling in his favor. I really think he is surprised at how many of his judges have ruled against him, because he can’t comprehend human relationships in non-transactional terms.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
You joke, but this is probably how he views things. Because of his psychopathy he most likely thinks that because he did them a favor by making them a judge, they owe him ruling in his favor. I really think he is surprised at how many of his judges have ruled against him, because he can’t comprehend human relationships in non-transactional terms.
Look at his marriages. Melania was probably the only one who truly understood that she was there to be eye candy and nothing else. So she's the one who is staying married, got the $$$ and a kid and can't give two fucks about anything else. Of course, she's probably as transactional as he is.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Gonna drop this here because it is educational by contrast.

OAN just lost its defamation suit against Rachel Maddow, their last appeal having been denied. And they have to pay MSNBC's attorney's fees ($250,000).

Why did they lose? They sued over Maddow saying that OAN was “paid Russian propaganda." Except that Maddow got her facts from a Daily Beast story describing how OAN used a Russian journalist who was simultaneously being paid by the Kremlin for work at Sputnik News. This reporter was used to cover the Trump/Russia scandal, and to comment on Syria and many other matters that Russia has been involved in. And several times has made false statements on air which are suspiciously similar to Kremlin propaganda. The accuracy of the Daily Beast story was never even challenged by OAN.

So Maddow's statement that OAN was "paid Russian propaganda" might be construed as hyperbole, at most. Because she had a factual basis for her opinion it is protected speech. The court threw the case out before trial and ordered OAN to pay fees.

By contrast, these defendants in the voting machine cases had no facts to back up their opinions. They had no facts period.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
The above story also illustrates the difference between mainstream news media and conservative media.

Even where MSM is biased, it is at least careful with its facts.

Fact: Maddow has a story which says OAN employed a paid Russian propagandist to report on Russia related news. Opinion: Maddow says OAN is "paid Russian propaganda." She is allowed to spin her opinion so long as it has a factual basis. Was barely even what we'd call a spin, but I'm comfortable calling it that.

Fact: Sidney Powell says she has a tape of the Dominion CEO bragging that he can flip "millions of votes in minutes." Opinion: Powell says Dominion is "corrupt." Conservative media talking heads nod and smile, and thank her for bringing their viewers "the truth." Just one problem: no such tape exists. Powell just made it up.

That is why one is defamation and the other is not. And it's also why the right seems to always fail when they sue MSM for defamation. Maybe they think MSM lies just like they do and they're projecting.

And it further illustrates that the American right wants to be free from any consequences of their choices and actions. Don't want to be called "paid Russian propaganda?" Then don't hire a paid Russian propagandist to do your Russia news. Doh!

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Next bit of good news. After the individual defendants lost their motion to dismiss the Dominion case, Fox is right about to lose its motion to dismiss the Smartmatic case. And it sounds like the judge has just about made up his mind.

The judge questioned whether there was any basis whatsoever for claims Powell and Giuliani made about Smartmatic during appearances on Fox News and Fox Business, like that the company was banned in Texas.

"How is that not defamatory?," the judge asked. "Did any evidence ever come to light that Smartmatic was banned in Texas?"

Indeed.

Fox keeps claiming they were just reporting on the claims rather than endorsing them. Way too much evidence to the contrary. They're screwed.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Not sure if this has been posted before, but it's a fascinating read and might explain some of the hostility towards Dominion and Smartmatic: https://www.dcreport.org/2020/12/31/ess-voting-systems-a-friend-to-republicans/

Some highlights:
- Owned by a private equity firm, ES&S has been elusive about identifying the people in its ownership.
- Of the 25 states Trump won, all but 3 either partially or fully relied on ES&S machines (40 of 50 states use ES&S in whole or part of state)
- A number of ES&S executives and lobbyists have ties to top GOP election officials and politicians. One of their top lobbyists once eliminated the paper trail requirement for electronic votes in Georgia while working as a state elections official. Another ES&S executive in charge of security came from the Trump's HHS and left after improperly firing 2 executives.
- Georgia switched from ES&S to Dominion only after Raffensperger succeeded Kemp as secretary of state.

Note--an ES&S machine was found to be behind a 26,000 vote miscount in Pennsylvania during one recent election. Also note that GOP-led states have since cancelled numerous orders for Dominion machines in the wake of the 2020 election--and have most often switched to ES&S. That goes straight to the "harm" claims in Dominion's lawsuits.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Not sure if this has been posted before, but it's a fascinating read and might explain some of the hostility towards Dominion and Smartmatic: https://www.dcreport.org/2020/12/31/ess-voting-systems-a-friend-to-republicans/

Some highlights:
- Owned by a private equity firm, ES&S has been elusive about identifying the people in its ownership.
- Of the 25 states Trump won, all but 3 either partially or fully relied on ES&S machines (40 of 50 states use ES&S in whole or part of state)
- A number of ES&S executives and lobbyists have ties to top GOP election officials and politicians. One of their top lobbyists once eliminated the paper trail requirement for electronic votes in Georgia while working as a state elections official. Another ES&S executive in charge of security came from the Trump's HHS and left after improperly firing 2 executives.
- Georgia switched from ES&S to Dominion only after Raffensperger succeeded Kemp as secretary of state.

Note--an ES&S machine was found to be behind a 26,000 vote miscount in Pennsylvania during one recent election. Also note that GOP-led states have since cancelled numerous orders for Dominion machines in the wake of the 2020 election--and have most often switched to ES&S. That goes straight to the "harm" claims in Dominion's lawsuits.

I'd love to say this is surprising, but we know it isn't.

Mar 11, 2004
Yeah wouldn't be surprising that their goal is to do what they're claiming is happening, since that's been their MO. And in the leadup to it (where they claim it is happening) they know they'll lose, but that's intentional, as then when they actually do that later, they'll claim the Democrats are just being partisan (never mind the Republicans made it a partisan issue - which is what they've been doing with everything and then brainwashing the "moderates" aka morons into thinking that's the case). Once they get machines to start fucking up and giving Republicans votes, they'll claim to be vindicated (see, the other machines were wrong before look at all these Republican votes!) and use that to justify their next actions. And they'll have gotten enough of the normal idiots to buy in that they'll get their way.

They're legit following a formula. This is exactly what they did with climate change, gun ownership, LGBTQ+ rights, etc). They knew the reality, and now are intentionally trying to fuck things up as the irrefutable evidence piles up, and they've muddied the waters (or more importantly muddled the brains of enough people) to insure that it won't be addressed. Its also how they went about Iraq invasion (among other issues under Bush) and basically everything Turmp did.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The curse of his life. Rats!

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
They just pivot from Trump the small-g god to Trump the Oppressed, Trump the down-but-not-out Hero, victim of the nasssty, nasssty evil Democrats. And RINOs, which is anyone who says anything not resembling a butt-smooching.

It kind of shows just how far out there the GOP politicians have gotten. And it's in response to their constituencies, which are basically nuts. "ordinary" so-called Conservative judges and other officials, who don't have to be getting votes from rubes, still sometimes stand up for the rule of law.
Apparently, Republican politicians practice followship. Lead? They'd kill me in my sleep.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
RhutRho!!!! They better be askeert now!!!!

What a waste of time and court resources. Dominion will prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Powell told deliberate lies. When she said she had a video of the Dominion CEO bragging that he could "flip millions of votes in minutes," but never produces it to the public, and doesn't produce it in response to discovery in the lawsuit, she is a proven deliberate liar.

How does a proven deliberate liar get to counter-sue for defamation, wasting time and taxpayer money? After she loses the Dominion suit, including her counter-claims, Dominion can then sue her again for malicious prosecution of the counter-claims. If she still has even a pot to piss in, that is.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What a waste of time and court resources. Dominion will prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Powell told deliberate lies. When she said she had a video of the Dominion CEO bragging that he could "flip millions of votes in minutes," but never produces it to the public, and doesn't produce it in response to discovery in the lawsuit, she is a proven deliberate liar.

How does a proven deliberate liar get to counter-sue for defamation, wasting time and taxpayer money? After she loses the Dominion suit, including her counter-claims, Dominion can then sue her again for malicious prosecution of the counter-claims. If she still has even a pot to piss in, that is.
That’s the problem for dominion, they are going to take all her money in the first lawsuit so they won’t really be able to get attorneys fees or whatever else from her in the second suit, haha.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
That’s the problem for dominion, they are going to take all her money in the first lawsuit so they won’t really be able to get attorneys fees or whatever else from her in the second suit, haha.

I don't think Dominion cares about getting money from Powell. Unless she's a lot wealthier than I imagine she is, her net worth is likely not that significant in terms of the scale of their damages. She's a defendant so that the public can see her held accountable, forced into bankruptcy, for lying about Dominion. And so they can more easily get discovery from her.

Fox News, OAN and Newsmax are the deeper pockets here. Powell, Guiliani (Lindell an exception since he has significant wealth) and the rest of those dirt bags are just there to be exposed.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I don't think Dominion cares about getting money from Powell. Unless she's a lot wealthier that I imagine she is, her net worth is likely not that significant in terms of the scale of their damages. She's a defendant so that the public can see her held accountable, forced into bankruptcy, for lying about Dominion. And so they can more easily get discovery from her.

Fox News, OAN and Newsmax are the deeper pockets here.
Oh of course they don’t, although I think no matter what they win their business is ruined in the US. Even though these are all obvious lies no Republican is going to allow dominion machines to be used.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Oh of course they don’t, although I think no matter what they win their business is ruined in the US. Even though these are all obvious lies no Republican is going to allow dominion machines to be used.

Yes, and that is exactly why they have such a large potential claim for compensatory damages, which is not even to speak of possible limitless liability for punitive damages if the jury is angry enough.

Fox News is going to want to settle this to avoid even the mere possibility of a multi-billion dollar judgment. The problem for them is that Dominion says it doesn't want to settle the case. They say they want their day in court to prove that these defendants lied about them.