Voting machine manufacturer’s lawsuits thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
they'll rightfully settle for full retractions & oodles of cash, if not for the full amounts sought. OTOH,Fox may take it all the way using Tucker Carlson as precedent.

It's the "we can say anything we want because nobody takes us seriously" defense.

that was then, this is now: "Actually, it is clear that plenty of people do take you seriously, because they engaged in a very real insurrection based on these lies that you, others, and POTUS perpetuated."

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Lol ... Where was Fox’ legal department while all this was happening? Do they never have someone with a law degree review their stories to pull them back and say "Wow! that's complete bullshit!, your setting us up to be sued!" - when they go a too far out in la la land?

I know the answer to that ... It’s easy to gloss over that stuff when the money is pouring in, and pour in it did. Spouting bullshit was profitable, and now things got out of hand. When you spend all your time counting money, it’s easy to let things spin out of your control.

Now they’ve been flanked on the right by Newsmax and OAN, and they’re standing there with their dicks in their hands. Fox News is in legitimate trouble; their ratings are down and their legal exposure is enormous. They have little choice here but to cut a deal or else that organization (which is a separate corporation, albeit owned by, Fox Corporation) could suffer a catastrophic loss.

From what I understand about defamation lawsuits, but correct me if I'm wrong - The plaintiffs have to prove that statements made by the defendants led to harmful results, such as loss of business and threat to life, among other things. It’s the reason why Alex Jones lost all those defamation suits to the Sandy Hook survivors, even though he had the “Only for entertainment purposes” clause in his byline.

Man....imagine if someone like the NFL decides to pull their broadcasting contracts with 20th Century Fox completely and move back to ABC/Disney permanently (for the Sunday afternoon spots) in response to this. lol.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Lol! ... Rudy "no ethics no problem" Giuliani goes on WABC (radio) to do his radio show and, unbeknownst to Rudes, they put a disclaimer in the introduction:

Three massive defamation suits in progress and Rudy still wonders why people are distancing themselves from his remarks? That is a spectacular level of willful cluelessness.

“These impositions on my free speech are out of control,” he says, as he prepares to launch into a lengthy broadcast of his totally uncensored speech. :rolleyes:

lol. I guess Drunky McMorningDrinker can sue them if he wants.

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
they'll rightfully settle for full retractions & oodles of cash, if not for the full amounts sought. OTOH,Fox may take it all the way using Tucker Carlson as precedent.

It's the "we can say anything we want because nobody takes us seriously" defense.
If they use this defense, they should be forced to remove 'News' from the name of their network. Fox Opinion Network, or Fox Right Wing Nut Job Network would be more appropriate.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
If they use this defense, they should be forced to remove 'News' from the name of their network. Fox Opinion Network, or Fox Right Wing Nut Job Network would be more appropriate.
Better yet make them call it Fox Fake News.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Better yet make them call it Fox Fake News.

Both of your suggestions are just a bit too close to the truth for Fox...something they avoid like Trump does subpoenas...

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I would give them the option of avoiding having to make a cash payout by them admitting publicly by having an on the air special report that they were complicit with spreading the lie about the election results in an effort to overturn the election. Of course they would never accept those terms.
They would play that at like 4am when no one (except maybe Trump) is watching lol. They need to really feel the pain or they won't change.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Man....imagine if someone like the NFL decides to pull their broadcasting contracts with 20th Century Fox completely and move back to ABC/Disney permanently (for the Sunday afternoon spots) in response to this. lol.
FOX TV, FOX Sports and Fox Movie studios are owned by Disney... FauxNews and FauxBusiness are still owned by Murdoch.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
FOX TV, FOX Sports and Fox Movie studios are owned by Disney... FauxNews and FauxBusiness are still owned by Murdoch.

oh that's right, damnit.

though I've noticed this year, for the first time that I can recall, FNN advertising on 20C Fox Network this year, starting mid-summer, I think, and certainly during NFL broadcasts. I don't recall them ever doing that during all these years, and it was highly, highly propagandistic: it was full-on TrumpArmy bullshit for those 20s spots.

Feb 4, 2009

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
  • Haha
Reactions: Meghan54

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Damn cancel culture, Lou Dobbs is FIRED
well not really fired he will still be paid he just can’t be on the air anymore
People are saying this is due to lawsuit fear at Fox

Keeping him on contract and paid while off air is a good thing. Not sure how much time is left on his contract, but this will keep the non-compete active and he can't just join OANN or Newsmax to get on the air.

Feb 4, 2009
Keeping him on contract and paid while off air is a good thing. Not sure how much time is left on his contract, but this will keep the non-compete active and he can't just join OANN or Newsmax to get on the air.
Per Howard Sterns interview of Rachael Maddow, Roger Ailes wanted to do the same with her. Offer her a multi year contract then never put her on the air.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Damn cancel culture, Lou Dobbs is FIRED
well not really fired he will still be paid he just can’t be on the air anymore
People are saying this is due to lawsuit fear at Fox

Lou is a liability rather than an asset to Fox now. He was almost certainly yanked off the air because Fox execs asked him to tone down the defamation and lies that threaten to bankrupt Fox and Lou refused to do so.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Lou is a liability rather than an asset to Fox now. He was almost certainly yanked off the air because Fox execs asked him to tone down the defamation and lies that threaten to bankrupt Fox and Lou refused to do so.

Lou has been demented for some while & now, at 75, he may well be suffering from dementia of some sort or another, like believing his own bullshit.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Lou Dobbs off the air....... what a tragedy. Second big blow to me this week. Yesterday I found a dead flea on my desk.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Where was Fox's legal department? The answer is that they've been getting away with this shit for a very, very long time. Just consider the singular case of George Soros who has probably been defamed on Fox News 500+ times and has never sued. That's why these lawsuits are important. They need to understand that lying in a manner that is injurious to people and companies has consequences. First Amendment protections are broad, but not boundless.

Smartmatic says its employees have received multiple death threats. Also cyber attacks. And other forms of harassment. But most importantly, both companies are saying this disinformation campaign is an existential threat to their business. They don't think they will ever be hired again without first clearing their names in court. Their main compensatory damages claim will be loss of future income.

Alex Jones hasn't lost the Sandy Hook lawsuits. They are pending and have not gone to trial yet. He lost some pre-trial motions and got slapped with a large monetary sanction by the court. If Jones had just stuck to claiming the Sandy Hook shooting was a hoax, he would have been fine. But no, he just had to say that the parents were phony "crisis actors" which is what turned this into multiple defamation suits.

Thanks for the clarification on Jones. I agree ... Their mutual case is basically cast-iron. And they’re not solely interested in a financial solution, they want to recover their reputation. They can’t achieve that with a semi-secret settlement in which the losing party admits no fault publicly. They win only when the defamatory statements are crushed and openly rebuked, which is achievable only with a trial. The very unlikely exception would be if Giuliani et al. agree to a settlement including an extensive and highly public apology tour in which they unreservedly confess to having made up the whole thing. I don’t see that happening.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
So Sidney Powell finally realized her mouth wrote many checks her ass can't cash, and took to hiding to avoid the process servers for her $1.3 Billion lawsuit.
But she isn't even good at running and hiding, and she was served... about 6 miles from where I live. This is "the elite" town that is adjacent to the Biltmore Estate, filled with doctors, lawyers, even some Hollywood stars.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
So Sidney Powell finally realized her mouth wrote many checks her ass can't cash, and took to hiding to avoid the process servers for her $1.3 Billion lawsuit.
But she isn't even good at running and hiding, and she was served... about 6 miles from where I live. This is "the elite" town that is adjacent to the Biltmore Estate, filled with doctors, lawyers, even some Hollywood stars.

That is something an innocent person would do.