Voting for the first time..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I don't know your politics, if you haven't been political in the past and haven't put much thought into it...

First, determine what your political stance is on various issues.

Second, determine which candidates would work favorably on the issues you support, or would work against issues you are against. Etc.

Third, make sure you're registered to vote, and make sure you, your family, and your friends know that you're a voter, and that you think they should vote, regardless of their political stance. And make sure that they're registered to vote, and provide help getting registered if not.

Fourth, and most importantly, vote. Every election. Local, state, Federal.

PS: most of the US is a first-past-the-post electoral system, meaning that 99% of the time, your vote really only matters if you're either voting for a candidate, or against another candidate. Voting third party when the third party candidate cannot win is essentially staying home/voting for the candidate you like the least.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I've never felt compelled to before this. I'm a convicted felon btw. Live in Texas. I'll be placing my vote for Beto. Don't really know anything about him or Ted Cruz other than their stance on climate change. Cruz complete disregard of climate change and the flat out deceit on the topic makes me disgusted. Is this a lost cause in Texas? Democratic senator in Texas. Wife wasn't planning on voting but I am getting her to vote for Beto as well.
Check your voting status early. Don't assume anything. Republicans are masters at voter suppression. I would see what it takes to get an official copy of your birth certificates in case you need it.