Voter ID laws are...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The incidence of mass shootings is negligible too, but that doesn't stop the left from wringing their hands and insisting something, ANYTHING be done!

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The incidence of mass shootings is negligible too, but that doesn't stop the left from wringing their hands and insisting something, ANYTHING be done!

Hmm....0001% or about <10 cases a year for voter fraud happening or about 11,000 firearm related deaths per year. Yep! Pretty negligible and practically equal!

Just for reference; the amount of deaths by cars is about 30,000 per year and declining (well it was until republicans decided to remove previous restrictions on truck drivers in the latest transportation bill).

But keep spouting the new idiots meme of false equivalency.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hmm....0001% or about <10 cases a year for voter fraud happening or about 11,000 firearm related deaths per year. Yep! Pretty negligible and practically equal!

Just for reference; the amount of deaths by cars is about 30,000 per year and declining (well it was until republicans decided to remove previous restrictions on truck drivers in the latest transportation bill).

What percentage of the population is 11,000? Math is your friend. Well maybe not your friend, because clearly you're trying to avoid it...

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Just because you think everyone should have an ID on them, doesn't mean they should be required to have them to exercise their right ...

Absolutely!!! Just because they think I should have an ID on me does NOT mean I should be required to have one to exercise my right ...to buy a gun. Or, oh wait, you don't like that right do you?

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
Absolutely!!! Just because they think I should have an ID on me does NOT mean I should be required to have one to exercise my right ...to buy a gun. Or, oh wait, you don't like that right do you?

It's not that they don't like the right. It's that the right to vote was so important it was added to the original Bill of Rights as the second amendment with a prohibition against any infringement. In contrast, the right to bear arms was so traditionally restricted to a select group of citizens that we had to pass an amendment just so women could buy a gun, and then another so 18-years olds could. There is absolutely nothing in those amendments that prohibit requiring a purchaser to show ID before buying a gun, so why wouldn't we?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
What percentage of the population is 11,000? Math is your friend. Well maybe not your friend, because clearly you're trying to avoid it...

It's a much bigger number than the answer to the question you are dodging. Death by cars is also a small number when compared to the whole population, should we stop bothering trying minimize those deaths as well? Unless you are indeed just another hack, I'd suspect you aren't for relaxing laws and regulations regarding automobiles.

At what point do you say enough people are needlessly dying before things should change? 3000 people like the ones that died on 9/11? Is 5000 your number, like those that died fighting the war on terror?

You see the difference between a "liberal" and a righty is that "liberals" are interested in solving problems and are willing to entertain any idea, while the righties only care about appearances. Hence the reason none of the voter ID laws meant to prevent voter ID fraud actually does anything to stop it.

It's why "liberals" often latch onto new ideas, if only for a short time, if they think it will help solve a problem and yet they have no problem abandoning an idea if it doesn't work. It's why "liberals" are willing to adopt republican plans and yet righties aren't willing to do the same.

So go ahead and dodge the question again and obfuscate the issue because you are a partisan hack and it will surprise no one!

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Ah, so the $30 a day jobs we give them, are more than enough for them to live like kings.

So, why can't the rest of America live on $30 a day work days - while receiving all these wonderful free things?

Couldn't give a fuck less if someone that is here illegally is only making $30, or $30 a week. They can go back where they fucking came from, and come back legally if they want to get paid well.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

Besides your math being terrible, your reading needs some improvement too, he said mass shootings.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Besides your math being terrible, your reading needs some improvement too, he said mass shootings.

And that changes my point how exactly? Maybe you should skip the criticizing until you know how to follow a conversation.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Holy crap, that's comedy GOLD!!!

To an idiot such as yourself I'm sure you find lots of things funny, ignorance is bliss after all and you are one dumb motherfucker;)

When should we see you on tv when the news reports the "next revolution"?

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
It's why "liberals" often latch onto new ideas, if only for a short time, if they think it will help solve a problem and yet they have no problem abandoning an idea if it doesn't work.
Actually xj0hnx had this spot on:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously, has a more steaming pile of shit, bold-faced lie EVER been told around here? That is a CLASSIC!

"liberals" are interested in solving problems and are willing to entertain any idea
Of course, I mean other than that steaming pile of shit, bold faced lie.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I guess you tools forgot that the dems ended up supporting the republican health care plan. I guess you idiots forgot that there were democrats who supported the republican plan for cap & trade.

The best republican is a democrat in office. You morons are just too stupid to see reality.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
And that changes my point how exactly? Maybe you should skip the criticizing until you know how to follow a conversation.

Completely? Yea, it completely changes it, if you're too stupid to see it, sorry, can't help.

To an idiot such as yourself I'm sure you find lots of things funny, ignorance is bliss after all and you are one dumb motherfucker;)

When should we see you on tv when the news reports the "next revolution"?

I'm surprised you could type that while choking on the cold, hard truth. You fucking idiots cling to the same tired, failed ideas you always have. No matter how many times reality smacks you across the neckbeard you still don't get it, or try something new.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I guess you tools forgot that the dems ended up supporting the republican health care plan.
Yeah that's right, your marching orders are it's the republican's health care plan now.

Riiiiight.

So when it doesn't work, you'll be abandoning it, right?

I'm REALLY looking forward to that!

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Yeah that's right, your marching orders are it's the republican's health care plan now.

Riiiiight.

So when it doesn't work, you'll be abandoning it, right?

I'm REALLY looking forward to that!

My bad I didn't realize I was arguing with a retarded 10 year old. Perhaps you should try getting your info/history from fox, storm front, and breitbart.com, because I don't remember the last time you have ever been right or in the know about anything.;)

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
My bad I didn't realize I was arguing with a retarded 10 year old. Perhaps you should try getting your info/history from fox, storm front, and breitbart.com, because I don't remember the last time you have ever been right or in the know about anything.;)

It humorous watching you spin around in circles, flailing about, lashing out like a small child not getting a toy and throwing a temper tantrum, but maybe you should try backing up some of the crap you spew instead of ad homing when you get called on all your bullshit.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Aww gee, no commitment on abandoning the idea when its proven not to work. WHAT A SURPRISE!

"B-but liberals always abandon ideas that don't work, not push the same tired, outdated, discredited nonsense over and over and over and over again!"

Thanks for the laughs as always, ivwshame.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
It humorous watching you spin around in circles, flailing about, lashing out like a small child not getting a toy and throwing a temper tantrum, but maybe you should try backing up some of the crap you spew instead of ad homing when you get called on all your bullshit.

Aww gee, no commitment on abandoning the idea when its proven not to work. WHAT A SURPRISE!

"B-but liberals always abandon ideas that don't work, not push the same tired, outdated, discredited nonsense over and over and over and over again!"

Is it still called a circle jerk when it's only you two? Or do you guys call that Tuesdays?

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

Seems like this post of yours is pure ad hominem.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I have no issue with voter ID laws. It's like 5 dollars for a state ID card that does not expire for a long time. You mean to tell me that even the brokest of broke can't afford that? It's not like we are some 3rd world country where the average person lives off a dollar a month.

What is of no issue to you means nothing. You're arrogant assessment of the value of 5 dollars is the product of arrogance. You do not know the conditions of others and should not pretend to. It just makes you sound like an insensitive asshole and others may jump to that conclusion. You wouldn't want that.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

Republicans automatically abandon an idea BEFORE its proven to work or not work, as long as the idea is adopted by Democrats.

Sounds a lot more stupid then at least first trying out the idea.

Thanks for the laughs, fool.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
I have no issue with voter ID laws. It's like 5 dollars for a state ID card that does not expire for a long time. You mean to tell me that even the brokest of broke can't afford that? It's not like we are some 3rd world country where the average person lives off a dollar a month.

The fact that you cite the nominal cost of getting an ID as THE hurdle presented by voter ID laws just demonstrates how little you understand the issue. The major hurdle presented by voter ID laws isn't the cost; it's the documentation requirements. Many people without IDs - often elderly and committed voters for decades - don't have a birth certificate or social security card or other required documents. They might have had those documents years ago when they first registered to vote, but over the years the documents have been misplaced or lost, and the process to obtain a substitute documents is often difficult or impossible for them.

So for such people, obtaining an ID seems like an impossible task. And that's exactly why Republicans are passing these laws: They do NOT want these people (disproportionately Democrats) voting. The cited purpose - to stop voter ID fraud - is the actual fraud; we all know that voter ID fraud is essentially nonexistent.