Voter ID laws are...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 20, 2008
I should skip paying for insurance and just go to the ER. When they ask for ID, I'll just tell them I don't have any. I'll tell them my name is Santiago Rodriguez. When they don't believe me I'll just scream racism because I have a Hispanic name.

Huh?

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't get how anyone thinks voter ID is discriminatory in any way. If the right calls for it, it means EVERYONE should have an ID. If the left called for ID, I'd have no problem with that either. The fact is that the left doesn't care who votes, illegals, dead people, etc. All they want is people who will vote democrat.....fuck the rules. The left doesn't care about integrity in our voting system, much less integrity in anything else. This should not be a partisan thing but the left wants to make it that way. Fuck em! You need an ID for most everything you do. Why not to vote?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Poll Taxes. Plain and simple. Just because you think everyone should have an ID on them, doesn't mean they should be required to have them to exercise their right to vote. Anything short is an attack on freedom, and you should be ashamed of yourselves for supporting such laws.

Just a PSA.

People on welfare somehow manage to pay for cable, beer and tobacco. A small fraction of that could easily pay for an ID. If it's a poll tax, then it sucks at being a poll tax.

And we already have a national ID, it's just not a very good one. Bars will turn you away and restaurants won't serve you alcohol if you don't have a government issued ID showing your age.

I'm not sure if voter ID will solve anything, but I find the argument that requiring people to make a trip to the DMV is "discrimination" to be overblown at best and intentionally disingenuous at worst. If you don't care enough to make it to your local DMV, I sure as hell don't want your mindless ass voting.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
So long as the documents needed to obtain the ID are also free. That scenario has already been ruled kosher by the courts as well.
The problem is, most off these ID laws don't do that and they puck and choose what supporting documents can and can't be used.

why not use standard forms of ID that are also used to get a driver's license?

social security card, birth certificate, passport, etc.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Because apparently only the right wing privileged elite can obtain such rare and expensive documents. :rolleyes:

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
People on welfare somehow manage to pay for cable, beer and tobacco. A small fraction of that could easily pay for an ID. If it's a poll tax, then it sucks at being a poll tax.

And we already have a national ID, it's just not a very good one. Bars will turn you away and restaurants won't serve you alcohol if you don't have a government issued ID showing your age.

I'm not sure if voter ID will solve anything, but I find the argument that requiring people to make a trip to the DMV is "discrimination" to be overblown at best and intentionally disingenuous at worst. If you don't care enough to make it to your local DMV, I sure as hell don't want your mindless ass voting.

This is exactly why I believe that the only people who don't want ID are those who have a good reason to oppose it, because there is fraud going on and they don't want it to stop. I'll stop short of saying certain people wouldn't have been elected if certain people would have been disqualified to vote, due to lack of ID. Also, I believe there is a small faction of society that should not vote because they are mentally not qualified to make good decisions. They are from the low information gene pool. :p

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
This is exactly why I believe that the only people who don't want ID are those who have a good reason to oppose it, because there is fraud going on and they don't want it to stop. I'll stop short of saying certain people wouldn't have been elected if certain people would have been disqualified to vote, due to lack of ID. Also, I believe there is a small faction of society that should not vote because they are mentally not qualified to make good decisions. They are from the low information gene pool. :p

I agree with this. Poll exams were originally abolished because they were put into place to prevent freed slaves from voting. We have public education and more-or-less universal public internet access now. There is no excuse for anyone voting to not have a basic understanding of each candidate.

Questions like "Obama wants to raise taxes on the wealthiest Americans. True or False?" or "Romney is a Mormon. True or False?" would filter out a lot of idiots who have no business determining our country's future. I'll admit a robust system of oversight will need to be around to ensure such a system isn't abused, but there should be some filter to ensure that only those who even marginally care about the system determine its course. Hell let people have internet access while they take the quiz so they can google the answers on their own. Just get the basics into their brains somehow.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Do elderly people who no longer work need a social security card? Do they need a passport?

Again, just because you dumbasses can't thing of a solid reason why someone wouldn't have an ID or the supporting documents doesn't mean no reasons exist.

It's really not that fucking hard of a concept to understand.

As I've stated already though, I have no problem with requiring an ID so long as all the necessary documents needed to obtain one are also free. Do you guys even agree with that?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Hey dumbass, how will voter ID laws stop absentee voter fraud? With type of fraud do you think there is more of?

Now tell me again who doesn't want to stop voter fraud.

Lol at your last line! Were you projecting again? Because, based on your posts, not only are you mentally not qualified to make deciscions but YOU ARE a "low information" voter.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Do elderly people who no longer work need a social security card? Do they need a passport?

Again, just because you dumbasses can't thing of a solid reason why someone wouldn't have an ID or the supporting documents doesn't mean no reasons exist.

As I've stated already though, I have no problem with requiring an ID so long as all the necessary documents needed to obtain one are also free. Do you guys even agree with that?

Yes. Because they're probably on social security or potentially eligible for social security. Unless you'd argue that people should be able to opt out of social security, which I'd agree with. In any case I don't see why someone who's an American citizen should be afraid or feel discriminated against for being required to easily prove that citizenship.

I'd extend the "free" bit to "less than $20". But in principle yes, such ID should be easily affordable. I had to pay over $100 for my passport as I recall.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Yes. Because they're probably on social security or potentially eligible for social security. Unless you'd argue that people should be able to opt out of social security, which I'd agree with. In any case I don't see why someone who's an American citizen should be afraid or feel discriminated against for being required to easily prove that citizenship.

I'd extend the "free" bit to "less than $20". But in principle yes, such ID should be easily affordable. I had to pay over $100 for my passport as I recall.

If you had to pay $10,000 for an ID would you have any objections, after all $10,000 is a drop in the bucket for someone who makes millions a year.

However the reason ID's and any requiring document should be free is because of this thing called the constitution and an outright prohibition of little trick, used by unpatriotic piece of shit Americans, called a poll tax. And it's meant to protect ALL americans from people like you who wouldn't mind a "little test" in order to vote.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You talk so much of brain defects, have you tried looking in a mirror?

Moonie, you're the same old tired joke. You used to be capable of interesting conversation, but your brain collapsed in on itself at some point and all you can do is paint the room with your own shit. No matter how much you try to convince yourself it's paint, everyone else can smell what you're covered in.

I am the mirror.. I know you because I know me. You forget that because you are defensive and you are defensive because you don't really like yourself.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

What you don't see is of no importance. You are arrogant and don't walk in other's shoes. It is a documented fact that ID poses problems for many who voted their whole lives previously without it. You are anti-American and you don't want to see it, so you blind yourself with self-manufactured bull shit.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
don't forget to bring your picture ID at your next union election..they won't even let you in the door with no picture ID.

have you ever voted in a union election? last time for me was mail in with no id required.

same thing with absentee voting, no id required.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
If you had to pay $10,000 for an ID would you have any objections, after all $10,000 is a drop in the bucket for someone who makes millions a year.

However the reason ID's and any requiring document should be free is because of this thing called the constitution and an outright prohibition of little trick, used by unpatriotic piece of shit Americans, called a poll tax. And it's meant to protect ALL americans from people like you who wouldn't mind a "little test" in order to vote.

For the overwhelmingly vast majority of people, having/getting an ID is not an issue and it's a cheap, commonsense way to verify who someone is that's voting. If you or anyone else that opposes voter ID can come up with a different method to verify identities hat doesn't involve government IDs I'm welcome to hearing it. But adamantly opposing the very idea of checking IDs is rightly going to raise the suspicions of voters who can prove their identify and are rightly concerned about how someone without identity documentation could be verified since like it or not that's how it's normally done in this country. Again maybe someday when we have "Minority Report" style retina scanners it won't be an issue, but as of right now it is.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
No big government,.. unless it can be used to bash and root out people I do not like or want anywhere near me,... unless they NEVER vote, I pay them ultra low wages and supply me with illegal drugs.

Welcome to America; where illegals are the citizen's play things and servants.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

How does these elderly people verify their medical (Medicare) benefits without proving who they are???

Or are all of them just independently wealthy, in which case they can afford an ID??? or maybe these seniors just don't need medical benefits [rhetorical statement]

Jan 25, 2011
How does these elderly people verify their medical (Medicare) benefits without proving who they are???

Or are all of them just independently wealthy, in which case they can afford an ID??? or maybe these seniors just don't need medical benefits [rhetorical statement]

I would suggest looking up what is acceptable for identification for Medicare recipients. They are not nearly as restrictive as what is allowed under the voter ID laws tha have been passed.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Welcome to America; where illegals are the citizen's play things and servants.

Don't forget they are the recipients of great benefit/welfare programs, free education and school meals for their children, free medical services... we even throw in free incarceration as well....

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I would suggest looking up what is acceptable for identification for Medicare recipients. They are not nearly as restrictive as what is allowed under the voter ID laws tha have been passed.

You need to PROVE your citizenship AND your identify to receive Medicare coverage...PERIOD.

But I am sure you have some anecdotal story to refute this, right???

Jan 25, 2011

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Don't forget they are the recipients of great benefit/welfare programs, free education and school meals for their children, free medical services... we even throw in free incarceration as well....

Ah, so the $30 a day jobs we give them, are more than enough for them to live like kings.

So, why can't the rest of America live on $30 a day work days - while receiving all these wonderful free things?

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Ah, so the $30 a day jobs we give them, are more than enough for them to live like kings.

So, why can't the rest of America live on $30 a day work days - while receiving all these wonderful free things?

Because the rest of America is here legally??? No one is forcing them to come and stay here....they could go back home and see if they have more luck earning a better living there...