Voter Fraud in Iowa?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
What on earth is a caucus. Is that a wild party you have before voting? This should have died with the dinosaurs.

stlc8tr

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2011
Hilarious that Sanders could have won if the coin flips were just slightly in his favor. Instead he loses all six. pwned.

http://www.npr.org/2016/02/02/46526...in-flips-did-not-win-iowa-for-hillary-clinton

Except that doesn't tell the whole story. In fact, there were at least a dozen tiebreakers — and "Sen. Sanders won at least a handful," an Iowa Democratic Party official told NPR.

Gone unmentioned so far is that even if Clinton won that Miracle Six — and there were no other coin tosses — it would make little difference in the outcome. That is, in part, because of the complicated way Iowa Democrats allocate their delegates — and what was being reported on election night and what wasn't.

Let's step back and explain that for a second; and this is tricky, so stay with us.

First, understand that the state party reported a grand total of 171,508 caucusgoers, the second-highest turnout in Iowa caucus history behind 2008. And no raw vote was — or is ever — broken out by candidate and recorded at the Democratic caucuses.

That's because in Iowa, it's a delegate game.

Iowa has a multistep process for picking delegates. Monday night was just Step 1. Here's how it works:

1. There were 1,683 precinct caucuses on Iowa caucus night.
2. Those precinct caucuses elected 11,065 delegates to the county conventions, which take place March 12.
3. That universe of 11,065 delegates is whittled down to 1,406 who will attend congressional district (April 30) and state conventions (June 18).
4. And here's the root of what's causing all the confusion: The breakdown of those 11,065 is not reported on caucus night.
5. What IS reported, what Clinton's 49.9 to 49.6 percent tracing-paper-thin lead is based on, is "state delegate equivalents."
6. Those are ESTIMATES of how many of those 11,065 will attend the congressional district and state conventions.

So ... when those coin tosses are happening, they are elected delegates in that larger universe.

That means, for Clinton to have picked up the four delegates, she would have had to have won not six in a row, but more like 47.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
rant, berate, wail, moan, shill
If you lie down with dogs, you will get up with fleas. The people that are paying you to be here are Democrats. Sanders is running as a Democrat. Why is it you expect Democrats to not act like Democrats? Taking the high road doesn't win elections anymore. If you want Bernie to win, send a message up through the campaign structure and let Bernie know that you feel he needs to start fighting dirtier. He's up against a woman and along with her the Clinton dynasty that has been very skillful at bending and breaking the rules while staying above the fray. Her husbands impeachment when it all shook out amounted to nothing. Other than that, they've pretty much had carte blanche and she has been highly successful at promoting herself as a victim. Unless she is indicted by the DOJ she's going to be the nominee and she might be the nominee even if she is indicted. That's just how her party and her supporters roll. She's a victim in their eyes and she will always be a victim.

Only you can decide just how much you like fleas. Stay the course and there are plenty more where those came from.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
That article absolutely reeks of bias.

His source is some guy that said sanders won some coin flips. Really...

Well, If that qualities as a fact, then I just consulted with my friend, who owns a magic 8 ball, and he said the author is full of shit.

You remind me of Ron Paul supporters during the last election cycle.

stlc8tr

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2011
That article absolutely reeks of bias.

His source is some guy that said sanders won some coin flips. Really...

Well, If that qualities as a fact, then I just consulted with my friend, who owns a magic 8 ball, and he said the author is full of shit.

I was just looking at how many anti-Hillary threads you've started so we both know who's biased. :p

Feb 4, 2009
Just wondering, how many have said voter fraud isn't a problem have posted that Bernie got screwed and how many posters have said voter fraud is a huge issue and are defending Bernie?