Voter Fraud by Republicans

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Trial judge for the Indiana Voter ID law that was upheld by SCOTUS in his capacity of trier of fact found the petitioners against the law "had not introduced evidence of a single, individual Indiana resident who will be unable to vote as a result of SEA 483 or who will have his or her right to vote unduly burdened by its requirements.”

Not voter suppression. The Supreme Court knows it. 80% of the American public knows it. And though you deny and deny for partisan reasons you know it too.

It's true that the SCOTUS bought into the Bigfoot voter fraud argument in Crawford v Marion. OTOH, they recently upheld the circuit court decision wrt N Carolina & will likely do the same wrt similar laws in Texas & Wisconsin. Given the changing court, it seems unlikely that they'll allow more of the bullshit allowed in Indiana & equally as likely that Repubs will waste taxpayer resources to attempt more of the same.

Repubs' argument is based on the falsehood that voter fraud actually exists to a sufficient degree to necessitate action. That's only become clearer in the years between Crawford & today.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
It's true that the SCOTUS bought into the Bigfoot voter fraud argument in Crawford v Marion. OTOH, they recently upheld the circuit court decision wrt N Carolina & will likely do the same wrt similar laws in Texas & Wisconsin. Given the changing court, it seems unlikely that they'll allow more of the bullshit allowed in Indiana & equally as likely that Repubs will waste taxpayer resources to attempt more of the same.

Repubs' argument is based on the falsehood that voter fraud actually exists to a sufficient degree to necessitate action. That's only become clearer in the years between Crawford & today.

Why, you're 100% aboard with the "necessity of action" for stuff like income inequality and evidence and logic doesn't matter much to you.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Why, you're 100% aboard with the "necessity of action" for stuff like income inequality and evidence and logic doesn't matter much to you.

Desperate diversion. It's not about me. It's about the principles of democracy. Win or lose, I want every citizen 18 & older to vote. Repubs obviously can't say the same.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Desperate diversion. It's not about me. It's about the principles of democracy. Win or lose, I want every citizen 18 & older to vote. Repubs obviously can't say the same.

I want every citizen 18 & older to vote. But only if they are legally entitled to vote, only as themselves, only once, and only in the precinct they are legally entitled to do so. When you refuse the most trivial means of helping curb those then the inescapable conclusion is that you want them because it favors your side.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Here's what I don't get. The Republicans hold more than 2/3rds of the elected offices in this country. They have majorities in the Senate, the House, the governorships, the state houses, right down to the county levels. Except for the White House and the major cities, the GOP is in complete control of this country. But the Republicans claim it's the Democrats that are rigging elections?

The issue is you are trying to get it. The machinations of the Republicans aren't meant for educated people like yourself. It's frustrating and quite depressing that this type of stuff actually works with a segment of our population. The fact that someone like Trump is even being taken seriously should tell you all you need to know.

Meanwhile, the GOP is pushing its voter suppression tactics nationwide (limiting early voting, cutting back voting stations in non-Republican areas, fighting to cut back Sunday voting (souls to the polls), and oppressive(and I didn't say all) voter id laws.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I want every citizen 18 & older to vote. But only if they are legally entitled to vote, only as themselves, only once, and only in the precinct they are legally entitled to do so. When you refuse the most trivial means of helping curb those then the inescapable conclusion is that you want them because it favors your side.

You cannot demonstrate any need for such restrictions other than by invoking fantasy & conspiracy theory. That's the crux of the matter. Show me the fraud & I'll grant that you have an argument. Short of that all you offer is bullshit.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
You cannot demonstrate any need for such restrictions other than by invoking fantasy & conspiracy theory. That's the crux of the matter. Show me the fraud & I'll grant that you have an argument. Short of that all you offer is bullshit.

Show me the negative impact of a Indiana style plan and I'll grant that YOU have an argument. The lawyers opposing the law couldn't show a negative impact and you can't either.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Show me the negative impact of a Indiana style plan and I'll grant that YOU have an argument. The lawyers opposing the law couldn't show a negative impact and you can't either.

How many fucking times do I have to tell you; the only state with a voter ID law like Indiana's is Indiana! All others that have been struck down were struck down because they were shown to suppress the vote and none of the new voter ID laws have been modeled after Indiana's.

You said you want everyone 18 years and older to vote if they are legally allowed to vote, right? We've had 200 years of voting in this country with basic safeguards in place, are you saying those elections weren't legitimate?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

I'll grant that the Indiana case was poorly argued. Since then, a great deal of evidence has been amassed showing that the impact of such laws has a negative effect. Next time around Repubs will have to deal with that & I don't think they can.