vote on whether or not HBD broke his wrist

Jan 18, 2001
At the end of December I was riding one of these razor like scooter things (this one had four wheels though that would swivel when the board leaned to one side) and of course I wiped out, landing particularly hard on my right hand.

It swelled a bit, and was stiff, but not overly painful. I figured it would heal in time.

Well, it hasn't healed in time, and there are still angles that I have a fraction of the strength that I should and that are painful.

I tweaked it the other night playing racquetball, and now its worse than it has been.

So the question is.. is it/was it broken or sprained?

UPDATE:
No apparent break... still waiting on the radiology assessment, but I looked at the images and didn't see anything either.

So now I get to wear a brace for a couple of week and wait for the inflammation to go down.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
I think if it was broken you would realllllly be in pain. So it's probably just a bad sprain.

I did that once rollerblading a long time ago without those gloves with the plastic insert on your palm. Hurt like a muthafucka for a few days.

Jan 18, 2001
BTW, I've decided to have a doctor look at it, so I'll update when I get a diagnosis. Don't want anyone thinking I'm seeking medical advice from the internet. :eek:

burntfish

Jun 28, 2006
Originally posted by: HomeBrewerDude
BTW, I've decided to have a doctor look at it, so I'll update when I get a diagnosis. Don't want anyone thinking I'm seeking medical advice from the internet. :eek:

you shoulda done that the first time you hurt your wrist.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Who's HBD?.... OOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
I don't watch wrestling anymore.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
When I was in 6th grade I broke both my arms, the left was a clean fracture and had to be set back in place, the right was cracked but nothing had to be reset. If I had to guess based solely on my experience and your description I would guess that you probably cracked it.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
i broke my hand awhile back, and i didn't get it set immediately. suffice to say, when i got it checked out it was healing wrong, so they had to break it again. i'll never EVER skip going to the doctor for a suspected broken bone again. having a guy take his hand and break my bone (and the numbing stuff they used didn't do a DAMN thing) while i sat there was worse than breaking it originally.

just sayin.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
You broke it and the bones set incorrectly. Same thing happened to a friend of mine (your symptoms, not how). He was pissed and punched his truck, breaking his wrist. They had to re-break the wrist and then cast it so it would set correctly. That was more than 10 years ago and he still doesn't have 100% range of motion or strength.

Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: burntfish

you shoulda done that the first time you hurt your wrist.

Probably, but I was in Texas on vacation and I didn't feel like doing the ER thing.

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: fisher
i broke my hand awhile back, and i didn't get it set immediately. suffice to say, when i got it checked out it was healing wrong, so they had to break it again. i'll never EVER skip going to the doctor for a suspected broken bone again. having a guy take his hand and break my bone (and the numbing stuff they used didn't do a DAMN thing) while i sat there was worse than breaking it originally.

just sayin.

Yeah, I broke a bone in my hand (the bone that goes to the pinky), didn't get it checked out for a few weeks. The doctors x-rayed it, said "that's broken," and said they could only repair it by rebreaking it and setting it. It's a small bone, so they didn't bother, but now my knuckles line up weird on my right hand.

This doesn't sound like a break though... I mean, breaking a tiny bone in your hand is one thing, but your wrist? That would cause tremendous pain anytime he tried to do anything with his wrist (which it turns out is a lot). I guess it could've been a break, in which case that's one badass home brewer.

Now where's my :beer: ?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Yeah, that sucks. I hear your sex life is really suffering now, too. ;)

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Most likely something was broken and now you're paying the price. Strains go away, breaks don't. The wrist has many bones that you could have fractured and now they have healed incorrectly.

Off to the doctor you go.

Jan 18, 2001
My appt is set for Wed AM. I'll update then. Looks like public wisdom says I'm either ok (43%) or screwed (57%)!

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

:thumbsup:

Jan 18, 2001
UPDATE:
No apparent break... still waiting on the radiology assessment, but I looked at the images and didn't see anything either.

So now I get to wear a brace for a couple of week and wait for the inflammation to go down.