Vostro 1500 with 8600mGT and T5470 1.6

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

deputc26

Nov 7, 2008
Looking for some help here.

8600m GT ddr2
4 gigs 667
t5470 1.6

Been rocking this lappy for 2 years now for light gaming on the go and work use with satisfactory results.

For work the CPU is plenty but I'm wondering if there is a gaiming benefit to going with a faster CPU with this DDR2 8600m GT.

I already know a lot of you are gonna come in here and bash my card and bash the vostro and bash laptop gaming. If so you can check yourself right out of my thread. I have already have a kickass gaming pc. My lappy is sticktly to get me through vacations and while I've got time to kill at work.

My 8600 overclocks like a mother. Does a 200 ish overclock on the core and 100 on the Ram. Like i said monster overclock and picks up some good performance. i was wondering if there is much benefit in getting a faster cpu. 5-10 fps to me is worth it in minimums and/or averages. Will I see these kind of gains going to 2.2 ghz or something similar?

It seems rather easy to get these faster cpu's on fleabay for a reasonable cost and could sell mine for some money back. I care not however to throw my money in the wastebasket if there is no gain to be had

I have the same lappy but with a T8100 so 2.1ghz 3mb cache. Our 8600s are the ddr2 version, you might get a couple frames but def not worth it IMO, OC that 8600 instead with drivers from guru3d.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
I have the same lappy but with a T8100 so 2.1ghz 3mb cache. Our 8600s are the ddr2 version, you might get a couple frames but def not worth it IMO, OC that 8600 instead with drivers from guru3d.

I gather you didn't even read the post you quoted nevermind the thread.

I do overclock my gpu. It does over 600 core and just about 500 mem.

I already bought the cpu and installed it, and am satisfied with the results.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Glad it worked out, I can think of many many modern games that would be beneficial from a CPU upgrade. Granted if you need to max out IQ on every single game you play, the 8600 will be the limiting factor, but if you are reasonable about IQ a T5470 would be holding you back in quite a number of games.

Glad your not letting the people here stop you from overclocking your laptop, as long as you open it up every once in a while to get all the bunnies out, you should be relatively safe on that laptop. I had a pentium m go from 1.7->2.5 in a ThinkPad for years, and it just recently died...Cause of death: I dropped it.