voodoo5 and unreal tournament =trouble

Chromeus

Jan 31, 2001
I just got a uumm used voodoo5 and before i had a voodoo3 , did a fresh install of windows 2000 and its works great in tribes and other games ,but freezes the system everytime in unreal tournament !!
Even in the server refresh screen ,I had this problem before and i found out one of the fans on the voodoo 5 stoped spinning I flicked with my finger and its spinning fine now , but ut is starting to lockup th whole system again (sigh) and i looked everywhere in event viewer and nothing shows up ,
its does seem like heat would be the problem but i dont know for sure , I can play tribes for 6 hours straight with 4x FSAA on and it never ever freezes , i turn off FSAA when playing ut but it still locks up I check my bios and turned off 4x agp still froze, changed the apiture size still froze
turned on 4x agp again still froze opened case still froze I have all shadowing turned off and its still freezes I has the lastest drivers and it locks (I am going crazy and miss my voodoo3 ) I dont think its my system
I have a kt7 pro2-a (anandtech review) and a sound blaster live
along with an amd t-bird 950 (big cooling fan ) and three more 80mm cooling fans in the case (q500)
please help if you can

Brian23

Banned
Dec 28, 1999
Did you try re-installing UT? I don't know if DX8 has anything to do with it but I think UT likes DX7a. Whatever the problem is, it sounds more like a software problem than a hardware problem. Good Luck!

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Have you patched the game to the latest 4.36 version? Are you running it under Glide?

Chromeus

Jan 31, 2001
yes it is patch and yep i run it in glide
could the video card be over heating??
and i am running dx 8

RoboTECH

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2000
HEY YA BASTAGE, I SAW THAT!!!!!!

<kicks oldfart in his radeon-encrusted shins>

the old, dearly departed 5500 is sitting here on my desk, thank you.

As for your problem, it DEFINITELY seems like a software problem. Uninstall UT entirely, then reinstall, and patch.

Chromeus

Jan 31, 2001
ok I'll give it a try
But just to let you know
I put my brother's voodoo 5 in my system with the same driver and all still installed and it ran fine through 4 levels of ut and no lockups
and as soon as i put mine back in (with bigger fans added ) ut locked up with in seconds (in the server list screen) and the card was not hot the computer had just been turned on !! I think i got screwed

Chromeus

Jan 31, 2001
oh and his card ( my brothers) looks alittle different (on sticker in a different place he just got his the one i got was one of the first to come out . i wonder if it was one that got missed on the recasll voodoo had

Chromeus

Jan 31, 2001
but i tried something else and it works ..... I turned the settings to single processor only and ut never crashed but if i set it to both ie fastest performance than ut crashes right away but tribes still playes fine on both ??

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I had a V5 and UT always played beautifully in all modes, and I just switched to a GeForce2 GTS Pro and it now has the same troubles as yours...works fine in all games, except UT in D3D mode. All other modes fine. Good luck.