voodoo3 3k vs geforce2 mx

FrontlineWarrior

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2000
What do you guys think is a better video card considering the price? The voodoo3 3k i heard is around 60 dollars after rebates and geforce2 mx should be around 120-150 dollars. Do you think the geforce2 is worth double the cost for the features and performance, or are the new drivers for the voodoo3 so good to put it over the top? Also, power consumption is also an issue because my power supply is weaker than a pre-pubescent pencil pusher.

novice

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2000
I just picked up another Voodoo 3 3000 PCI yesterday at Bestbuy for the $99.95 price and am waiting for the $30 rebate. I was planning to get a GF2MX until I realized the actual retail prices are more like $150 to $170, and I have been pretty happy with the V3 3000 I have in my PIII 600, so I went ahead and replaced the Banshee in my P-233 MMX and although it is processor limited, it is faster in Unreal Tournament and Quake 3. The Voodoo 3 is the best cheap solution, in my opinion and it is very reliable and works well on older systems, too. The GeForce 2MX may become the next Voodoo 3, but I figure it will take at least 3 months for the price to drop to a point that the cheap upgraders will be able to take advantage of it.
Chuck