Voodoo 3 2000 new SGRAM version

daddybob

Sep 23, 2000
I bought my 3rd voodoo 3 2000 card at Wal-Mart the other night (to upgrade one of my older computers). This one had a slip of paper explaining that there was a new version of the card that has SGRAM instead of SDRAM. The SGRAM version has 4 memory chips instead of 8 and they are SEC -6 chips. Any advantages or disadvantages to SGRAM vs SDRAM? Is this really a voodoo 3 3000 marked down to a 2000 and if so is there any advantage to overclocking to 166MHz (The memory chips should't have any problem but will the video controller have any problems?). I took another voodoo 3 2000 (original SDRAM version) out of another machine and put it into the machine I was upgrading to be sure that it worked before I bought a new card. I put the new card (SGRAM version) into the machine that I took the old card from and didn't get any video until I changed to a different pci slot from the one that the original card came out of. The new card was obviously recognized by W98 as something different from the old card because I had to re-install the drivers. Anybody know what all the differences are between the SDRAM and SGRAM versions? There isn't any technical info on the 3dfx site.

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Just got my Voodoo3 3000.. has SGRAM too.. was worry that it would come with SDRAM... SGRAM.. faster.. dunno about overclocking..

stingygrrl

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2000
HI
Mine came with SGRAM too. So, there's no difference, other than SGRAM is faster?
Thx

Tonec

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Sgram is faster but the difference is not significant. Sdram is far more overclockable and is the better option. With sgram you won't be able to reach anywhere near the overclocks that you read about.