Vonage vs Packet8 vs Optimum Voice, which do you like for the home? Verizon vs Vonage, which do you like for work?

TazExprez

Aug 7, 2001
I am thinking about getting a VoIP telephone service for my home and for my business.

For my home I currently have Optimum Online cable Internet access, so my speed is about 9.1Mbps down and 1Mbps up. For my business I have Verizon DSL, so my speed is about 1.5Mbps down and 128Kbps up.

I already made an appointment to get Optimum Voice installed in my house in about a week, but I am thinking about getting one of the other two VoIP services, instead. In my house I can totally ditch Verizon since I have cable Internet access. I currently have the Verizon Variations Freedom package for my house and I pay $60.00 + taxes and other charges, so my bill is about $75.00 per month. Optimum Voice is ONLY $34.95, while Vonage is $37.54 after taxes, and Packet8 is ONLY 19.95. These plans are all for unlimited local, regional, and long distance calls. Optimum Voice doesn't offer voice mail, while the other two do. I don't care much about this feature, though. I wonder how these services compare in quality?

For my business, I two have Verizon telephone lines and one of them has Verizon DSL. I pay $38.00 for each line, but after taxes and other surcharges, they end up costing me about $80.00 each. The line with the DSL connection is my main telephone line and that's where I receive all of my phone calls. I use the other line for faxes and to make calls to other companies. Both lines are use extensively throughout the day. I am considering switching over the fax line to Vonage. For businesses Vonage charges $52.99 after taxes and Packet8 charges ONLY $129.95. I am not considering either Packet8, or Optimum Voice for my business. Packet8 is more expensive than my Verizon line and it isn't unlimited for calls to regular phone users. Optimum Voice isn't available for my business. I like the fact that Vonage gives businesses an extra fax line, so if I switch my extra line to Vonage I will get two more lines for less than the price of one with Verizon.

I wonder if it would be worth it for me to get Vonage for my business, since I have a relatively slow broadband Internet connection there? My DSL connection is a lot slower than my cable connection at home. I wonder if my DSL speed of 1.5Mbps down and 128Kbps up is enough to make quality voice calls through my second line? For the extra fax line I don't care because I will only use it for faxes. What do you guys think?

So in conclusion, what should I get for my home? Should I switch my extra line in my business for a Vonage voice line and the extra fax line?

Thanks for reading all this.