Volvo S80 T6, Used Mercedes Benz E320, or other car within $40k

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
My dad's looking at cars to buy, and his budget seems to be about 40k, but I think he can go up or down as needed. We have a volvo station wagon and have no complaints with it and a Honda Accord. I will be getting the Accord in about 7 months when I get my license @ 16. Anyway, we are looking at the following cars right now:

Volvo S80 New
Volvo S80 T6 New
Mercedes Benz E320 Used $35k 9,000 miles White

Any other cars you'd reccomend? And if we had to pick from those three, which would it be and why?

Finality

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ugh why step down to a 3 series?

Try hunting for a slightly used 2003 E class there are a couple showing up due to problems they had implementing nav. MBUSA is letting people trade in their E class for a MY04/MY03 with Nav for no extra charge (for those that originally ordered the car with nav). You should easily be able to pick one up for $40K, a base E320 can be had for invoice in certain parts of the country. Also hunt down good lease rates. Autospies is pretty good at things like that.... even if they are a tabloid car site.

bbkat

Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Finality
Ugh why step down to a 3 series?

BMW is more for performance oriented drivers who enjoy a little luxury too
MB is more for the plush luxury folks

Personally, I prefer the thrill of driving vs the plush

technogeeky

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2000
Lincoln LS
My dad said that in some sort of test it beat out the BMW 5 series, but I don't have any such info

Either way, it's a killer car.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Mercedes Benz Wagon, I really like mine and have over 280K with no major repairs.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: technogeeky
Lincoln LS
My dad said that in some sort of test it beat out the BMW 5 series, but I don't have any such info

It's certainly a good deal used. It depreciates like mad in the first couple of years, so you can pick up a relatively new model for a song.

ibintegra

Jan 31, 2001
Lincoln LS

I heard that the Lincoln LS might not start after it rains (if it's left in the rain). Is there any truth to this?

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Well the Mercedes is much better than any Volvo, better engines, better suspension, better interior.

Not that Volvos are bad - I like them, but they are no match for a mercedes.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Get a new GS300. I believe they have the highest resale value in that class. The E-class has the lowest resale value which is probably why you are able to get it for around $40K.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: ibintegra
Lincoln LS

I heard that the Lincoln LS might not start after it rains (if it's left in the rain). Is there any truth to this?
I would have to say no. That sounds completely implausible.

grillmasterP

Apr 2, 2000
My mother had a 1999 E320 for about 3 years before she traded it in for a new Lexus.

-She will NEVER buy a MB again.
Car was always at the dealership for repairs (all covered under warranty fortunately).
She had all kinds of problems with that car which she did not expect with a 40-50K car.
She never had any issues with the engine - just alot of quirks with electronics & related amenities.
Also she took a HUGE hit - Very poor resale vale/ high depreciation

She always wanted a MB for the luxury/status- and was very disappointed with the vehicle