Volvo S60 vs BMW M235i vs C7

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Have you checked? That's surprising. Corvettes are generally one of the cheapest sports car to insure. I pay about $650 a year to insure my C6.

+1

When I was thinking of getting something fun 7 years back I looked at insurance for a C6 and an STI. Surprisingly the C6 was significantly cheaper to insure than the Subaru.

I ended up buying a C6 about 3yrs ago and full-coverage is ~$600/year as a 3rd vehicle. My '08 Grand Caravan is $460/year so the Vette seems like a steal for what you get.

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
Have you ever owned a European car? Out of warranty maintenance & parts on a Corvette are probably 50% less than for the BMW or Volvo. I've owned several BMWs and Volvos before.

That's why I said I'd lease the BMW or Volvo but buy the Corvette.

Not personally, but every member of my immediate family has a turbocharged Volvo, and has for the past several years.

Go to an independent shop, not the dealer, and all that money you'd save on insurance (as pointed out earlier) will go a LONG way in having repair work done.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Yeah I checked all three. The Volvo & BMW are basically the same as my current Acura TL, $110 a month. The Corvette is $220 a month.

Something is terribly wrong if you are getting quoted that much for a Corvette. Mine was cheaper than a 2004 GTO, 2008 CTS V6 and my 2011 CTS-V. I think it was around $80 per month for 500k combined, vehicle replacement and $500 deductible.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Something is terribly wrong if you are getting quoted that much for a Corvette. Mine was cheaper than a 2004 GTO, 2008 CTS V6 and my 2011 CTS-V. I think it was around $80 per month for 500k combined, vehicle replacement and $500 deductible.

I guess something is terribly wrong then. It doesn't seem like that much to me considering the speed & cost of the car. Like I said, all my other cars are and have been around $110 a month. I last had a wreck about 8 years ago when I had a 3-series totaled by being rear ended at a red light. Though to be honest I don't know the specifics of my coverage. I tend towards over-insurance though.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I guess something is terribly wrong then. It doesn't seem like that much to me considering the speed & cost of the car. Like I said, all my other cars are and have been around $110 a month. I last had a wreck about 8 years ago when I had a 3-series totaled by being rear ended at a red light. Though to be honest I don't know the specifics of my coverage. I tend towards over-insurance though.

It has little to do with the speed and cost of the car and more with the probability that the car is involved in an accident. The Corvette is mostly owned by older, married adults which helps the insurance rates which is why something like an STI or 370Z costs more per month. Following numerous threads on Corvetteforum.com, LS1Tech and so shows a typical trend of very affordable insurance on the Corvette compared to almost anything else in the 30-70k car market. Even my $72k sticker, 550hp Cadillac costs me half of what you are stating and my insurance coverage is fairly high. Just don't want to see someone get taken adavantage of because the Corvette appears to be a high insurance cost car.