Volunteering Thoughts

HammerCurl

Apr 3, 2007
So I pretty much waste my time when I'm not at work, too much video games and I'd like to meet some interesting people. It's pretty weird, I saw that one United Way commercial during a NFL replay (The one guy has like 50 kids on swings and hes by himself) and it seems like it would be a good idea for me.

I've been feeling like a zombie lately, not really productive or happy and definitely in need of a change. So I'm not set on United Way but would like a hobby or something that would give me a good outlet to meet people or at least feel productive, I'm also thinking of volunteering at a local zoo. If anyone is a volunteer with any organization that they're really proud to be a part of and have any suggestions or stories they'd like to share, I'd really appreciate it.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Boys and Girls club volunteer here. I coach softball, did some basketball coaching too. They are always in need of volunteers.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Check out the craigslist - volunteer section for your area. I know in Boston, there's a group called BostonCares that produces a calendar of different volunteer activities, so you don't have to do the same thing all the time.

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Habitat for Humanity would be an excellent organization to volunteer for as well. You can find something in your area by entering in your zip code. At the end of the day you will have something concrete to show for your efforts.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My wife and I do a lot of volunteer work with our local kiwanis club. We made a lot of new good friends and get to work in various fundraising activities that benefit local underpriveledged children primarily. It's been a great way to network and at the same time do a lot of good things for people less fortunate than ourselves.

Lalakai

Golden Member
Nov 30, 1999
depending on your level of enthusiasm and energy, you could find an extremely broad range of activities, with many people and organizations very happy to work with volunteers..................as long as you don't get started, then leave them hanging.

I volunteered to help sight challenged people by doing this and really enjoyed it for several years. Local libraries are always looking for help, as are most booster clubs. A couple notches up, become a reserve police officer if you have the local option; check with your sheriff &/or city police. Maybe being "Big Brother Big Sister" is something you're interested in. Just went to a Renassiance Festival over the weekend and they were looking for volunteers to help with everything from medical support to information.

Look at your skills and what your primary hobbies are (legal ones mind you :shocked:), then just match up volunteer options. good luck

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
I vote for Habitat for Humanity (linked above). If you aren't a ninja at fixing stuff around the house, you'll learn a lot that will save you money in the future. If you already are a ninja, then you can help teach others. Anyway, people are nice, there isn't much screwing around, and you learn things + get exercise (driving big nails builds muscle quickly when you're a wimp like me) all at once.

I worked with them in HS and it was pretty cool.