Volume ID how to change

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
I have an old version of Windows Home Server and I am trying to figure out how to clone the boot drive so that the WHS will also recognize the data partition on the same disk. WHS sees that the data partition has a different Volume ID than the original boot disk, so it does not recognize the data partition as part of the array of disks. WHS will partition the boot disk with about 20G as the boot drive C: and the rest as one of the data disks that it put is a big pool (JBOD). I can clone the entire disk but WHS won't see the data partition as one of the JBOD pool. I can add it but it will erase the data in the process. WHS will boot with the cloned drive. Can I change the Volume ID to that of the old disk and make it work?

Perry

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
That provides some incite into the whole process. I cloned the drive and made the volume name changes in the registry but it still won't recognize the data partition. Both drives are 1T drives. I want to be able to maintain this server and I am finding that hard to do. I think the 2011 version is going to have the same issues.

Perry