Voltage regulators on X1800XL/X1800XT/X1900AIW

Icewind31

Feb 11, 2006
All of you have seen the x1800/X1900aiw cards where some of them has a missing number of voltage regulators, yet the pads are there. Do you think if I were to solder some onto there it would allow them to work? Hence it would help something like the x1800xl have better power stability to OC. Or do you think they need to be programmed to work (or even something else has to be soldered on as well ie: a resistor that sits next to it, etc)

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I don't have your card, nor one close enough for a comfortable confidence level about it specifically, but...

You'd have to look at the topology of the rest of the power circuit to see if they had just put multiple spots on the card to facilitate different parts sourcing (lowers construciton costs if they can take advantage of spot prices), or had put these in parallel or some other configuration.

Genearally speaking, unless your present regulators were overheating, adding another may not help. For overclocking, first you would raise the voltages, then observe the resultant temp rise in these power part and capacitors. It could help to replace the caps with slightly larger and/or lower impedance ones but this is subject to the weaknest link, not a sure solution to problem which (we don't even known exists yet).

As for programming, it depends on what you're calling a "regulator". TYpically there's a controller and some FETs. The fets are driven by the controller so if it's a FET you'd check the controller datasheet, maybe compare an example circuit if one is provided to what is on your card. If it is a controller, missing, there should also be an entire compliment of other FET and resistor spots that would need populated to get it working properly. Actually you wouldn't want to just add them to the card, rather setting up a testbed to confirm proper operation as once the card is powered up there is no turning back!

Basically I'm saying that if you feel competent to reverse engineer the parts and copper plus take some measurements, you will be able to see for yourself whether there is benefit- but without a clear need, generally no, it could probably be made to work somehow but is a risk, time and expense without any need based on what's been mentioned thus far.