VOIP for Father's Day

busia12

May 3, 2007
Hello,

I'm headed off to college again this fall and my dad has recently read an article about Skype and found it interesting. I have some experience with skype and know that it would be a pretty cool thing for the two of us to use together since he travels every week and I will be away at school. I was looking at a VOIP handset that he can use with his laptop, so I can set him up with Skype and talk to him while he's away. Anyone have any suggestions that are of a good quality and still fit into a college kid's budget? His Laptop runs XP, but is no where near high-end....so bluetooth really isn't an option unless there is a way to blue-tooth-ify his laptop for cheap.

I don't really have much experience when it comes to the hardware side of internet calling, so any and all help would be appreciated. I'll answer all questions I can.. Thanks again.

Suggestions?

dilli

Jun 15, 2007
Test your laptop if that has speaker and a microphone: Try recording your voice with voice recorder (this software is built in in every Windows program) without connecting anything like a microphone or a headset . If you can record and hear the sound w/o connecting anything, you are good to go. I have used skype before on my desktop (with a microphone and a regular speaker connected to it) and it works just like a hands-fre mode of a regular phone.

If the laptop does not have speaker or a microphone built-in, you can buy a headset with microphone attached to it from Best buy or any other similar place, I guess that is not so expensive. (I checket at Bestbuy's web page and prices start at 30 bucks)

So the minimum requirements are: (1) Headset/Speaker and microphone (Built-in or externally connected) (2) Internet connection (3) Need to download skype software and buy credit (need to buy a minumum of 10 bucks at a time)

I hope it helps.

DeeKnow

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
any laptop that runs XP should be able to take a USB bluetooth dongle. these are normally about $20 or so. then you get him a bluetooth headset (Plantronics, Jabra or Motorola - a decent one should be no more than $50). then he is good to go, and is not tethered with the headphone wire either