Vocab masters: subconfluent

Pandamonium

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
I can't find a definition of this word. Google hits are bringing up pdfs that contain the word subconfluent and definition, but don't really define subconfluent.

Used in context: "Subconfluent cultures of Saos(Arg72) cells were incubated at 39C". I officially hate "the literature".

MyThirdEye

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Subinfluent - an organism that has a lesser effect than an influent on the ecological processes within a community.

This might sounds stupid, or be wrong, but would it be the opposite of that?

Pandamonium

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
Nice find. It makes sense that it would be the converse, but I don't see how that applies to a cell culture. I really hate how researchers feel the need to use vocabulary that's too esoteric for the goddamn internet.

Pandamonium

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
That's similar to what I was able to piece together. The most vague definition I came up with was "less than joined", but I don't see how that applies to a cell culture line. The wiktionary definition is only in terms of meteorology, but I feel like the root meaning should be applicable across disciplines.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: jdobratz
Then try this one from Webster.

I think he knows what confluence means :roll:

From my limited microbio experience, I know that streaking for confluence means attempting to get the whole agar dish to culture. Perhaps a subconfluent culture is one that was streaked for confluence, but did not achieve it, maybe due to the nature of the culture or other preexisting conditions on the plate ?

Pandamonium

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
Heh- the m-w definition of confluent and sub-prefix is probably how I put together a vague definition. I haven't the slightest what it means in the context of a Saos(Arg72) cell line. That cell line has a temperature sensitive mutant of p53 that functions @ 32C and is nonfunctional @ 39C.

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
in cell culturing, confluency is achieved when adherent cells take up all the space on the culture flask, ie 100% confluency.

If cells take up about half of a given area of flask, then it's said to be 50% confluent.

Subconfluent refers to cell cultures that have not yet achieved 100% confluency, ie. cell cultures that haven;t crowded up the flask.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: StevenYoo
in cell culturing, confluency is achieved when adherent cells take up all the space on the culture flask, ie 100% confluency.

If cells take up about half of a given area of flask, then it's said to be 50% confluent.

Subconfluent refers to cell cultures that have not yet achieved 100% confluency, ie. cell cultures that haven;t crowded up the flask.

Haha so it really is that simple. Overthinking FTL :(

I'm going to go crawl back in my hole again.