VMware -- how can I change my IP address in virtual machine?

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
How can I change my ip in a virtual machine using VMware?

Not doing anything illegal or what not, just curious if possible, I heard it was.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Quintox

Not doing anything illegal or what not, just curious if possible, I heard it was.

What kind of networking are you using in the virtual machine? Bridged? If so, your getting an ip from either dhcp or a static one just like a regular machine. NAT? If so you can edit the nat ranges in the network manager.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: bsobel

What kind of networking are you using in the virtual machine? Bridged? If so, your getting an ip from either dhcp or a static one just like a regular machine. NAT? If so you can edit the nat ranges in the network manager.

I don't know much about networking -- I'm using a Belkin wireless router -- so I go in my router settings, and then what?

bsobel

Dec 9, 2001

I don't know much about networking -- I'm using a Belkin wireless router -- so I go in my router settings, and then what?

Wait, are you looking to change the internal address you get from your router or your public address from your isp? Nothing in your vm is going to change your public address. Can you elaborate more on what your trying to do?

Amtrak

Banned
May 29, 2005
Yeah, Bill likes to know these things. He likes to get into things that are none of his business then come back at him.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Amtrak
Yeah, Bill likes to know these things. He likes to get into things that are none of his business then come back at him.

:confused:

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: MrChad
Originally posted by: Amtrak

:confused:

Soon-to-be-owned high school troll. Ignore him or it'll derail the thread. There's a PFI thread on it.

Amtrak

Banned
May 29, 2005
Check your PM AreaCode707.
You're a moron, but I am not the one going off topic.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005

Wait, are you looking to change the internal address you get from your router or your public address from your isp? Nothing in your vm is going to change your public address. Can you elaborate more on what your trying to do?

Internal, sorry

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001

Internal, sorry

You need to find your virtual machine settings within VMWare (not sure if you're using ESXi, Server or Workstation) and determine if your network is setup as Bridged, NAT or Host-Only. From there we can provide further instructions.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: MrChad

Internal, sorry

You need to find your virtual machine settings within VMWare (not sure if you're using ESXi, Server or Workstation) and determine if your network is setup as Bridged, NAT or Host-Only. From there we can provide further instructions.

When I click the drop down box labeled "VMware Player", and I go to Preferences, there is nothing about networks or anything, just about exit behavior when I close it.

I know I don't have Workstation -- I followed these instructions if that may help you at all.

Thanks!

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Ok, you'll need to bear with me since I don't use Player that often. The VMX files on that site don't specify what type of connection is being used (Bridged, NAT, Host Only).

1. Within your VM, open a command window and type ipconfig. List the results here.
2. On your host machine, open a command windows and type ipconfig /all. List the results here.

Jul 10, 2007
rofl, so you want to hide your virtual machines so that big brother can't track you?
that's not going to work. if you're natting, they'll still see your public IP.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: BlahBlahYouToo
rofl, so you want to hide your virtual machines so that big brother can't track you?

No no, lol this is actually for Mybrute :D

bsobel

Dec 9, 2001

Can I ask what you hope to accomplish/fix by changing the VM's IP? The ip that external servers (like Mybrute) is going to see isn't going to change...

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005

As others have said, you can't easily hide your external IP. Is this for home or are you trying to circumvent work, school, library etc policies?