VMWare GO/ ESXi - any way to start VM's with host?

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
We've set up a new ESXi 4 server using the VMWare GO administration page and I'm trying to figure out how to get my VM's to automatically boot up when the host reboots. Any way to make this happen? I've used ESXi 3.5 and it was quite easy to do with the infrastructure console, but this VMWare garbage doesn't give a lot of options (which was quite a brilliant marketing move on VMWare's part).

-----

Edit, the solution is to browse to your ESXi using IE or FF and installing VMware VSphere client. ie, if your ESXi's ip is 192.168.0.20, just browse to that ip using your browser.

Last edited:

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
I'm not familiar with the new Vmware GO, but is there something stopping you from using the vSphere client to connect to the ESXi 4.0 box?

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
$500, otherwise I'm expecting that there's nothing stopping us from using vsphere client.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
vSphere client is included with free ESXi license... or at least it was...

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
Ha, it was free. Here I thought I was stuck with Vmware Go. Thanks for the heads up!

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
AFAIK the licensing for vSphere comes in when you want to run the vSphere server to manage more than one ESXi instance.

tomt4535

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2004
Right from the ESXi features page:

http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi/features.html

" VMware vSphere Client. Manage VMware ESX or ESXi hosts, virtual machines and (optionally) VMware vCenter Server with the common user interface of the VMware vSphere Client. The vSphere Client is available as a free download and can be pointed at a VMware ESX or ESXi host for single host management, or it can be pointed at VMware vCenter Server for multi-host management. "

Open a web browser and type in the IP of the ESXi host and there should be a link to download the vSphere client.