Visual Studio Community 2015

JC0133

Nov 2, 2010
I have 2 question about VS 2015.

1. This is free software right? I downloading it to my PC and after 30 days it said my trail ended and I couldn't use it with out a licence. I submitted my email and then it allowed me to use it again. I am just asking ask I don't want to write my programs for class and it suddenly stops working/asking me to pay for a license?

2. I tried to write C code in VS and it built and compiled but gives me errors when I run. Is it possible to write C in VS Community 2015?

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
It is free but requires a (free) license tied to a microsoft account. They give you 30 days use before requiring you to set up the license.

Microsoft's compiler supports C but is severely outdated. IIRC, it only has partial support for C99. If this is for school I would recommend just setting up a basic Linux VM (something like Ubuntu or Mint) and doing your C programming there.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
It actually requires a "reactivation" every 30 days I think it is.
That means, you can't use if purely in a offline environment like you could with all past versions of VS.
It will not allow you to use the product unless you can get back online again.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
It actually requires a "reactivation" every 30 days I think it is.
That means, you can't use if purely in a offline environment like you could with all past versions of VS.
It will not allow you to use the product unless you can get back online again.

Maybe that's what I'm experiencing. Pretty much every frickin time I load up my Visual Studio my Microsoft account is logged out, though I think it's less than a month each time I open it. Hmmm, but that could be it. Dang annoying, regardless.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
It is free but requires a (free) license tied to a microsoft account. They give you 30 days use before requiring you to set up the license.

Microsoft's compiler supports C but is severely outdated. IIRC, it only has partial support for C99. If this is for school I would recommend just setting up a basic Linux VM (something like Ubuntu or Mint) and doing your C programming there.

Its C99 support is basically good enough for most people. They had to include it since they now support the newer C++ standards which C99 support is a part of.

The community edition should support nearly everything the professional version has.

apathy_next2

Jun 15, 2010
Sorry to highjack the thread, but I'd like to ask some more questions about VS2015.

I am just looking to do C/C++ programming/learning and want to use VS2015 only for that, only issue is that the computer that i want to install on has no internet access and no way to get that computer internet access.
Is there anyway to do this?

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
Sorry to highjack the thread, but I'd like to ask some more questions about VS2015.

I am just looking to do C/C++ programming/learning and want to use VS2015 only for that, only issue is that the computer that i want to install on has no internet access and no way to get that computer internet access.
Is there anyway to do this?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48146

• Choose one of these installation options:
      • Install over the Internet:
        • On this page, choose the Download button.
        • Select the .exe option and then choose the Next button.
          • To install now, choose the Run button.
          • To download an installer that you can run later, choose the Save button. (When you install, the computer must be connected to the Internet.)
          • To create a local copy to install offline, choose the Save button, open a command prompt at that location and run the .exe with the /layout switch

LFaWolf

Oct 27, 2016
If you don't want to set up your own environment, why not give Cloud9 a try? https://c9.io
It runs on Ubuntu and I believe C is supported.