Vista64/XP Dual Boot

RyanW2050

Sep 2, 2005
I've never really set up two partitions before.

Is there anything i should know about the install process?

How much space should I give each partition?

If I save files while using XP, can i access them in vista?

SoundTheSurrender

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Why do you need to dual boot? Why not use Microsoft Virtualization software and run Windows XP in a VM so you don't need to reboot?

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
I have just done it last week, and yes, the dual-boot is a safe way to establish a smooth transition, and try Vista before you decide to fully migrate.

I did it on a separate physical drive, and I would strongly recommend doing the same. Partitioning the System Drive might not be successful, and you might loose the entire original XP installation.

Might as well get a 160GB drive for $50 w/ Free Shipping like this Seagate

Just start the installation, and you don't have to enter the Activation Number during installation, so you can test it for 30 days, and activate it when you are comfortable with your setup. I had used it since last Thursday, and activated it last night, being VERY happy with the results, especially gaming. It is actually faster and smoother!

You will be able to access files on the XP drive after changing permissions in Vista, but I would recommend the full back-up to the External Hard Drive (including the Internet Explorer Favorites) to make it even easier, and also to be safe in case something goes awry.

If you do decide to partition your system drive, give the Vista partition as much space as you can. I use Disk Director, but you can google for the alternate methods.

Good luck!

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005

Is there anything i should know about the install process?

As long as you install XP first and then Vista, you'll be fine and will not be required to do anything out of the ordinary. Vista's bootloader will see XP, configure itself accordingly and will prompt you with a menu where you can choose which OS to boot from every time you start your PC.

How much space should I give each partition?

I'd go with 20GB per partition as a bare minimum, more if possible.

If I save files while using XP, can i access them in vista?

Yes, you'll have full access to your XP partition and the files in it.

Originally posted by: SoundTheSurrender

Why do you need to dual boot? Why not use Microsoft Virtualization software and run Windows XP in a VM so you don't need to reboot?

Problem with MS Virtual PC is that, while useful, it's somewhat limited in that, for instance, it doesn't support USB devices on the guest OS. If you have, say, a USB device that's not supported in Vista 64, VirtualPC will be useless.

More advanced virtualization software like VMWare workstation does support guest based USB devices, but that software is not free, unlike Virtual PC.

It basically boils down to what the OP wants XP for.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
And you can boot into XP if you need it, but remeber that XP will erase all your Vista Restore Points every time you enter XP!

I have not found a solution for this problem, and tried to "Hide" the drive in XP (no boot to Vista!) and the registry tweak to make the Vista drive an "offline" device. Both methods failed.

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
Originally posted by: JustaGeek
And you can boot into XP if you need it, but remeber that XP will erase all your Vista Restore Points every time you enter XP!

Yeah. That's an unfortunate problem. I had to disable System Restore since I boot to XP at least once a day. It was just taking up space.

I wish Line 6 would get off their butts and started working on 64-bit drivers. :|

RyanW2050

Sep 2, 2005
Ok, when i install, should I partition all of the hard drive to XP, then vista will reconfigure it?

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
No. You need to have separate partitions or HDD drives for both XP and Vista ready before installing Vista.

For example:

Partition 1 (XP) - Install XP first in this partition
Partition 2 (Vista) Install Vista in this partition after Installing XP
Partition 3 (Storage or whatever)
etc.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Yup, most of the drivers are written as 32-bit. But I guess your Line 6 doesn't even have the 64-bit compatibile drivers, coded as 32-bit, correct...?

But at least we are ready for the 64-bit drivers and programs as soon as they appear...! ;)

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
Originally posted by: JustaGeek
But I guess your Line 6 doesn't even have the 64-bit compatibile drivers, coded as 32-bit, correct...?

Nothing. :( If it weren't for it I would've wiped clean my XP partition already.

Skypix7

I've posted this in a couple other threads and want to share my woes with you to help you avoid the same thing. I still haven't found a working solution but would dearly love to have one.

I need XP for a couple programs Vista 64 won't run and may never run, according to the software company.

But after 7 installs of Vista, and after installing XP first, and with Vista and XP installed on separate hard drives (both SATA), (my rig: 8GB memory, Quad 6600 cpu, Asus P5W DH Deluxe), and even after I installed each with the other hard drive physically unplugged, I have boot record corruption errors ("BOOTMGR missing") with Vista.

The two OSs just don't seem to like each other on my system, even after I set up each system completely independent of the other.

Plus all this clouded another issue which I just discovered...a failing IDE drive.

The Vista boot problem happens when I select the XP hard drive in Bios as normal (I don't use a dual boot set up or program), boot up on XP, use it for however long I want to without problems, but when I boot up the next time, select the Vista hard drive in Bios, and try to boot, I get the BOOTMGR error.

Popping the Vista install disk into the drive, rebooting from that, then doing a startup repair, gets me back into Vista...but it takes at least 20 minutes to do that.

Not worth the hassle.

I'm looking for some software solution that will allow me to dual boot without all this hassle, and without having to go into bios each time. But after all I've been through, and losing about 6 weeks worth of working time, I'd caution you to make sure you know what you're doing and above all, install XP first.

Because it seems both XP and Vista write some garbage on the other's master boot record whether you like it or not, which messes things up.