Vista hangs if cool-n-quiet is enabled?

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
If I enable cool-n-quiet in BIOS, then Vista hangs at the loading screen. I'm running Vista 32bit on an Asus A8N-SLI Premium with the latest BIOS. Safe mode boots fine. In fact occasionally even normal boot works. I tried enabling boot logging but no log is generated when it hangs. Has anyone encountered something like this before?

The reason I even bother with c'n'q is because Linux (Fedora Core 8) hangs if it's NOT enabled. It also complains about a 8254 timer not found on apic-io regardless of c'n'q. It looks like something very fishy is going on with APIC. The work around is to use a "noapic" flag but I haven't determined if this has any undesirable side effects.

cprince

May 8, 2007
Originally posted by: dighn
The work around is to use a "noapic" flag but I haven't determined if this has any undesirable side effects.

I think that the side effect is that the computer won't shutdown. It just hangs and you have to press and hold the power button to shut it down.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: cprince
Originally posted by: dighn
The work around is to use a "noapic" flag but I haven't determined if this has any undesirable side effects.

I think that the side effect is that the computer won't shutdown. It just hangs and you have to press and hold the power button to shut it down.

crap.. that sucks. I've also heard USB is broken for some.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
So I reset the BIOS to factory settings, enabled C'n'Q and Windows booted, but Linux didn't; basically opposite result as before. Set it to initialize PCI-E display first instead of PCI (original setting before reset) and now Linux works too. WTF?! This crap is like black magic. Try a random combination of settings and hope it works. Oh well at least it all does work now. But seriously, somebody screwed up somewhere.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
It does seem that some features have been poorly implemented for a loooong time, or, others such as USB which are pretty much reliable now even on cheaper boards which took ages to get working right. Cool 'N' Quiet is just one of those things, like sleep and hibernation, which will refuse to work right on certian motherboards.