Vista Gaming

RyanW2050

Sep 2, 2005
Being part of the MSDNAA I have access to Vista for no charge.

Aside from being prettier, would it make any difference at all in my gaming experience? I know aeroglass is a memory hog but I heard it shuts down nicely while gaming fullscreen.

Is it still too soon for Vista?

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Slower framerates and a need for more memory.

I heard there is a DX10 wrapper out there now.. if thats true I sure as hell won't be going to Vista again, I tried it and it bagged out on me before I even finished the 30 day trial.

RyanW2050

Sep 2, 2005
Eh, i'm running a 7800GT, 3500+ and 2gigs of valueselect. It runs CS:S and WoW fine... but newer shit like bioshock pushes it on good settings.

I'm definitley going to want to rebuild a vista machine for the DX10 games in 2008... still way too early for all that though.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
The 3D desktop is not being rendered when you are in game (unless you are running in windowed mode, iirc).

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Personally for gaming, i would wait for the service pack 1. It will fix the 2 GB virtual memory, (causes applications to crash once hitting 2 GB). It hasn't been fun with games in my experience :(. There are fixes out there at the moment. Those fixes work for some and not for others.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Molondo
Personally for gaming, i would wait for the service pack 1. It will fix the 2 GB virtual memory, (causes applications to crash once hitting 2 GB). It hasn't been fun with games in my experience :(. There are fixes out there at the moment. Those fixes work for some and not for others.

The biggest downside is the more memory your video card has, the more system memory Vista eats up during gaming (VRAM addressed into system RAM). The hotfix corrects this to some degree.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo
Originally posted by: Molondo

The biggest downside is the more memory your video card has, the more system memory Vista eats up during gaming (VRAM addressed into system RAM). The hotfix corrects this to some degree.

I bet that is "feature, not bug"

fierydemise

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
Vista is just fine for gaming, the driver issues have been worked out and performance will be indistinguishable from XP.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: fierydemise
Vista is just fine for gaming, the driver issues have been worked out and performance will be indistinguishable from XP.

:thumbsup:

Exactly my experience with gaming in Vista.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: adairusmc

Ditto. No problems here.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: tdawg
Ditto. No problems here.

Same here. Been running Vista since this past January with no problems... both 32-bit and 64-bit.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
When Windows Genuine Advantage screws up, like with what happened to their servers this weekend, Vista will turn off features like DirectX. I'll stick with XP for games until games start recommending 4gb or more of memory.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
When Windows Genuine Advantage screws up, like with what happened to their servers this weekend, Vista will turn off features like DirectX. I'll stick with XP for games until games start recommending 4gb or more of memory.

Not sure what you mean... I had no trouble this past weekend :confused:.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
You should google it aikouka, all I know of is a newsarticle about in Dutch, which won't help you :p But it's like BladeVenom described, due to some bug/mistake a lot of ppl witl legit Vista versions got the message it was NOT legit/genuine. Lot of functions shut down and made their OS basicaly useless. I like Vista though. But not enough not to have XP running alongside it whenever I need it ^^

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I'll post my experience with Vista x64 and gaming(using 4GB btw),think I have tried about 40+ games so far (old to new)and can't say I had any real problems,drivers I find are excellent.

To be honest I'm very impressed with Vista and its gaming compatiblity/stability.

imported_Truenofan

Golden Member
May 6, 2005
i have no problem with a x1700 and a c2d....runs everything i throw at it just like a decent laptop should. i see no excuses for not going to vista with a top notch rig.....other than the change it runs fine. i used to be one of the skeptics, but its grown on me.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Truenofan
i have no problem with a x1700 and a c2d....runs everything i throw at it just like a decent laptop should. i see no excuses for not going to vista with a top notch rig.....other than the change it runs fine. i used to be one of the skeptics, but its grown on me.

Off topic I know but, I too am a rotary fanatic having heavily modified a 2nd gen turbo 2 a few years back. Sold it to buy a New miata.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

Ditto. No problems here.

Same here. Vista Ultimate 64 and running everything fine for a few months now.

KT

Yanagi

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2004
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

Ditto. No problems here.

Same here. Vista Ultimate 64 and running everything fine for a few months now.

KT

Me too, been running Vista since christmas (MSDN) and have had minimum issues with it. Nothing I couldnt fix. With my new system it all became a lot better aswell. For gamin, I have had zero issues with gaming so far. The only issues I've been having (its not really an issue) is that when updating games it would not update due to [insert random error here]. The easiest way to fix this, and this has worked 100% of the time for me, is to run the patcher/update file as administrator.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I have been pleasantly surprised by my Vista Business x32 experience. I havent had an issue yet. I also tried the 64bit RC2 on an older machine and had no problems.

I have been waiting on trying the 64bit version as I think the driver situation and compatibility need to be ironed out. But the 32bit version has been great. Maybe sometime this winter Ill invest in some ram and grab the 64bit version from MS.

The DVD's MS sends out contains all the version right? You just install the version you have a key for correct?

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Genx87
I have been pleasantly surprised by my Vista Business x32 experience. I havent had an issue yet. I also tried the 64bit RC2 on an older machine and had no problems.

I have been waiting on trying the 64bit version as I think the driver situation and compatibility need to be ironed out. But the 32bit version has been great. Maybe sometime this winter Ill invest in some ram and grab the 64bit version from MS.

The DVD's MS sends out contains all the version right? You just install the version you have a key for correct?

Only Vista Ultimate has both 32bit and 64bit versions with it. But, your 32bit Vista Business key is also valid for 64bit Vista Business.
You can get the 64bit DVD directly from Microsoft for $10.00 USD. Start here and select your language at the bottom of the page.

I have been gaming on 32bit Vista Business without any problems. Now that I have 4GB RAM I'll be upgrading to 64bit soon.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Edit: meant to the first positive vista gaming comment.

Gaming has been great for me too in Vista 64.

I have not a single problem with any game except for the problem with Vista Ult. poker flickering (which was resolved several months ago)... and the DX10 touches in Bioshock are very nice... great frame rates with everything max'ed in 1680 x 1050 with a 8800 GTS 640MB.

Playing 64 bit Crysis in DX10 is going to be sweet.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000

Whaaaaa??:laugh:

It did nothing of the sort... I was playing titan quest and bioshock most all of the weekend.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: miniMUNCH

Whaaaaa??:laugh:

It did nothing of the sort... I was playing titan quest and bioshock most all of the weekend.

FUD? ;) I was banging BioShock like a dog all weekend and no problems.

19 games loaded on VistaU32 so far, and the all run just fine. This is with the same 2gig I ran XPro with for so long. You guys have convinced me to load 64bit too.