Vista: Disabling "Restart your computer to finish installing important updates"

Kadence

Nov 18, 2004
I'd like to disable the restart computer message after Windows updates in Vista. I have to keep selecting '4 hours'.

In gpedit.msc I have Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations enabled and No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Update installation enabled and set to the max setting of 1440. The above message still pops up every 4 hours.

I don't want to disable updates automatically, but would like to get rid of this message. On googling I read about some software called "Postpone Restart" that's supposed to automatically press this message, but I don't know if that's safe. Is there a way within Vista to get rid of this message?

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
The message shows because the updates installed require a restart to make the updates active. There isn't a way to shut that off since its a required action. If you don't want to encouter it then you need to set up auto update to check for updates durrings times your not normaly at your PC. Then the update can do its thing and the system will automaticly restart for you.

sivart

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
...or just have Vista download the updates and let you manually install them. You can then install them right before you walk away from the computer.

I have both of my Vista machines (both HTPC's) to never check for updates because I get tired of them coming out of sleep mode in the middle of the night and then staying awake...they are worse than a kid on Christmas morning :)

Gew

Dec 24, 2009
Still no new solution on this one, to get rid of the annoying reminder?
Windows 7 is where the situation is currently at.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
...or just have Vista download the updates and let you manually install them. You can then install them right before you walk away from the computer.
Yeah, if you are going to shut down your PC each evening, then choosing the "let Windows automatically download, but not install" option is probably best for your needs. When you shut down, Windows will offer the option to install Updates and then shut itself down.

I don't know if the problem ever comes up with desktops, but I've definitely seen cases where Windows Server HAD to be restarted before the Server would function correctly. MS sometimes would disable services to perform the update and things wouldn't behave right until the system was rebooted.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
The reboot causes entries to the Registry to be active, ergo, it is essential to do it. Your best choice would be download but not install. Then you are in control.

You get rid of the message by rebooting.

BTW - those update reboots are phased and OS controlled, and should not be interrupted.

Last edited:

timtak

Jul 10, 2013
choosing the "let Windows automatically download, but not install" option is probably best for your needs.

I do shut my computer down each evening, so this would be the ideal behaviour (is any update so urgent that it needs to be installed during the same day that it is put out?) but I do not know where to find this option. I have Googled the quoted phrase above but the only hit is here.

I have heard rumour that it is settable in something called "local group policy options/settings" (I am back translating from Japanese since mine is a Japanese windows 7) but I can't find "local group policy options."

I have heard that local group policy options is not available on all versions of Windows 7. I have Widows 7 Home Premium, and perhaps this is not enough.

I find that after four hours has elapsed a popup is displayed saying "reboot now?" or some such, but this popup steals focus (is that what it's called).

I am using two screens, so if I am typing in the other screen, and do not notice that the popup has popped up in the other screen, and then press enter with the intention that this is part of what I am typing in the other screen, then since the popup has stolen focus, Windows takes this enter to mean that I do want to reboot immediately and reboots without saving any of my work in progress. This has happened to me twice:'(

For the time being I am using Start -> Run -> services.msc -> Windows Update [right click] Stop

If possible I would be grateful of instruction on how to select the option mentioned at the beginning of this post.

Tim

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
If possible I would be grateful of instruction on how to select the option mentioned at the beginning of this post.

Tim

Welcome to the forums! Re-enable the Windows Update service, then click the 'Start' button, click 'All Programs', click 'Windows updates' and, in the upper left hand corner of the dialog, click 'Change settings'. Under 'Important updates', click 'Please select an option', then select either 'Download updates but let me choose whether to install them' or 'Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them'.

timtak

Jul 10, 2013
Welcome to the forums! Re-enable the Windows Update service, then click the 'Start' button, click 'All Programs', click 'Windows updates' and, in the upper left hand corner of the dialog, click 'Change settings'. Under 'Important updates', click 'Please select an option', then select either 'Download updates but let me choose whether to install them' or 'Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them'.

Than you very much indeed. I could not find Windows Update in the programs menu but I found it in the control panel and chose 'Download updates but let me choose whether to install them'

Great! No more lost work. I understand that I will be give the option to install when i shutdown. This is just what I want.

I wonder if changing this setting will be enough to put a stop to the four hour time bomb or whether I should turn off Windows Update service for today. The prompt is back so I am just going to restart my computer.

Thanks again,

Tim

Last edited:

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Than you very much indeed. I could not find Windows Update in the programs menu but I found it in the control panel and chose 'Download updates but let me choose whether to install them'

Great! No more lost work. I understand that I will be give the option to install when i shutdown. This is just what I want.

I wonder if changing this setting will be enough to put a stop to the four hour time bomb or whether I should turn off Windows Update service for today. The prompt is back so I am just going to restart my computer.

Thanks again,

Tim

If you've already installed the updates and don't want the restart prompt, then yes, you'll have to disable the Windows Update service.

In the future, don't install the updates unless you want to deal with the restart prompt. I would recommend just waiting until you're ready to shut down and choosing the shut down and install updates option.