Vista 64 or XP for these games?

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
I finally finished building a new gaming box and it's dual-booting XP (32) and Vista 64 (both with current SPs). I was planning to try to install all these games on Vista 64, unless there are any that are really a pain or more crash prone with Vista 64.

Please let me know if any of these would be trouble on Vista 64 and if there are any tips to get them to work right without any headaches.

Mass Effect
Witcher
Orange Box (HL2/EP1/EP2/TF2/Portal)
Neverwinter Nights 2
Gothic 3
Bioshock
Sins of Solar Empire
Oblivion
Freelancer

Is the latest DX9 the best for these (except for Bioshock DX10?) and what's the best Nvidia GTX 260 driver for these games?

Thanks for your help.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: manko
I finally finished building a new gaming box and it's dual-booting XP (32) and Vista 64 (both with current SPs). I was planning to try to install all these games on Vista 64, unless there are any that are really a pain or more crash prone with Vista 64.

Please let me know if any of these would be trouble on Vista 64 and if there are any tips to get them to work right without any headaches.

Mass Effect
Witcher
Neverwinter Nights 2
Gothic 3
Bioshock
Sins of Solar Empire
Oblivion
Freelancer

Is the latest DX9 the best for these (except for Bioshock DX10?) and what's the best Nvidia GTX 260 driver for these games?

Thanks for your help.

Tried these below in Vista x64 , no issues to report.
Mass Effect
Witcher
Neverwinter Nights 2
Gothic 3(Tried that on Vista x86 but should be fine on x64 version too).
Bioshock
Oblivion
Freelancer

Yes install latest DX9.0c from here.

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Mem
Tried these below in Vista x64 , no issues to report.

Yes install latest DX9.0c from here.

Great, thanks for the reply. Is the DX9 installer the same for 64 and 32 bit?

EDIT: To answer my own question, I just looked it up and the Microsoft download page says it's the same file for 32 and 64 bit.

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Jdioutkast
Sins of a Solar empire also works fine in Vista X64

Thanks, glad to hear it.

Are the latest Nvidia drivers for the GTX 260 the best for this range of games or is there an older driver version with a better combination of stability and performance?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: manko
Originally posted by: Jdioutkast
Sins of a Solar empire also works fine in Vista X64

Thanks, glad to hear it.

Are the latest Nvidia drivers for the GTX 260 the best for this range of games or is there an older driver version with a better combination of stability and performance?

Always try the newest drivers as they have the most recent compatibility fixes. If there are any glitches in any games you own, just roll back to something earlier.

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Always try the newest drivers as they have the most recent compatibility fixes. If there are any glitches in any games you own, just roll back to something earlier.

Ok, will do. I thought I'd ask, just in case. On my older card, there was one driver that was the best overall for the range of games I played and video playback, but it wasn't the latest and greatest.