Visiting Paris, London, and Copenhagen - help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
So a childhood friend of mine just moved to London and I'm scheduled to visit in July thanks to the stupidly good fare deals last week ($1400 RT business class). I've been to Paris but any suggestions are welcome. London is huge but he'll help me through it and I'll do plenty of research.

Copenhagen, however...I need help with. I know nothing about what to do, see, eat, or drink there aside from noma. I've never been anywhere near that part of the world, heh.

Anybody live in Paris or Copenhagen and want to rent a room out? :D

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Why choose Copenhagen?

Personally, I'd probably go to Amsterdam. It's in between London and Paris, or least convenient. Schiphol Airport in A'dam is a good one. Amsterdam has great art museums, restaurants (French, Spanish, you name it), bars and shops etc. It's easy to get around on the trolleys. You can English and get around just fine.

The only thing I remember from hanging out in Copenhagen was a modern art museum. I don't like modern art, but I liked some of what they had. Some interesting Rube Goldberg type machines. Otherwise, I don't care much for pickled herring.

Fern

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
You got in on the Delta/American fare sale on first/business last week too, huh? :thumbsup:

I'm flying into Munich and will trek it to Paris as well......will watch this thread.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I chose Copenhagen because 1.) the fare was cheapest 2.) cheap local carriers (easyjet) won't cost a lot more than the train to/from Paris 3.) I had specific requirements for my flights in order to maximize my miles 4.) I'll more than likely be through Amsterdam in the next few years whereas Copenhagen probably won't pop up.

OCGuy - mine was the initial UA fare deal. I chose to stick to Air Canada to get really close to hitting gold via the Air Aegean "trick."

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I was in Copenhagen last week on my way to Rome. I've been there three times. Sorry I love the Danes but it's a POS snooze fest of a city. And expensive as hell! 40 EUR bought enough DKK to pay for two day-long metro tickets and two coffees. That's it. $50 USD. Gone.

I have really no desire to return. There are some coastal towns in Denmark like Ribe that are more charming. Visit Tivoli Gardens? See the damned Mermaid? Take a boat over to Sweden? Go visit the original LegoLand in central Denmark?

As for Paris: love it. Have spent a total of about 3 weeks there. Prefer the Latin Quarter near the Rue Mouffetard. Find a cafe and settle in for people watching!

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
2.) cheap local carriers (easyjet) won't cost a lot more than the train to/from Paris 3.)

Watch out for the baggage restrictions on budget carriers like Easyjet.

If you travel extremely light, no problem.

If you don't, or if you want to bring back gifts, etc. what you'll be charged for baggage will soon eat up any savings from the cheaper fare.

Enjoy your travels!

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Watch out for the baggage restrictions on budget carriers like Easyjet.

If you travel extremely light, no problem.

If you don't, or if you want to bring back gifts, etc. what you'll be charged for baggage will soon eat up any savings from the cheaper fare.

Enjoy your travels!

Yeah, I'm aware. Still, the difference is worth checking Copenhagen/Denmark off my list.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I was in Copenhagen last week on my way to Rome. I've been there three times. Sorry I love the Danes but it's a POS snooze fest of a city. And expensive as hell! 40 EUR bought enough DKK to pay for two day-long metro tickets and two coffees. That's it. $50 USD. Gone.

I have really no desire to return. There are some coastal towns in Denmark like Ribe that are more charming. Visit Tivoli Gardens? See the damned Mermaid? Take a boat over to Sweden? Go visit the original LegoLand in central Denmark?

As for Paris: love it. Have spent a total of about 3 weeks there. Prefer the Latin Quarter near the Rue Mouffetard. Find a cafe and settle in for people watching!

I love just hanging out for an afternoon and people watching. That sucks to hear about Copenhagen...if my other world-traveling friends agree, I might cut the visit down to 2 days prior to my flight and spend an extra day in London. LegoLand is a distinct possibility...

Status
Not open for further replies.