Jul 20, 2004
in manhattan..

not too pricey please.
indian/thai/italian preffered.

but other stuff welcome.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
If you're looking for a cool atmosphere, try Mars 2112 or Jekyl & Hyde's. I've been to both... the atmospheres are cool and the food is pretty good.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
not sbarros. for some reason they're much worse in manhattan than they are in the rest of the country.

ABitTooSpicy

Jun 30, 2004
Indian:
Jewel of India - 15 W 44th St (Really good, but a little pricey)
Tandoor - 9525 Queens Blvd (Really good, cheap too, but its in queens)
Baluchis - All over NYC (Its a chain so its hit or miss, but my experiences have been real good)

Thai:
Two places I can think of are Pongsri and Spice. However I didn't remember the address, and when I went to look it up seems they are both chains! (Learn something new everyday) So yeah find one of those and it should be good.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
"Ono" - Japanese/Sushi..very good. Might be a little more pricey, but for the atmosphere and food I believe it is worth it.

Ctrackstar126

Jul 14, 2005
I know your talking dinners but if you are there for breakfast hit one of the street stands for a bagel. You will be rather impressed.

Also go to restaurant.com and browse through the restaurants. It links to the restaurants and you can get menu and some pictures of what your dealing with. You can also grab a coupon.

ABitTooSpicy

Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Josh
"Ono" - Japanese/Sushi..very good. Might be a little more pricey, but for the atmosphere and food I believe it is worth it.

Oh, if we are talking Japanese then you HAVE to try the following two places:

Go Japanese Restaurant - 30 Saint Marks Pl
Not your regular rolls/sushi place, a little more traditional. Try the okonomiaki, the octopus salad and the wasabi steaks. Also, it gets crowded at peak hours so be ready to wait 20+ mins.

Tamaya Restaurant - 2347 Hudson Ter, Fort Lee, NJ 07024
I don't think this place has rolls/sushi on their menu at all. A little pricey but worth it. Small place, the owner is the chef and the food is awesome. I'd go there more often if it wasn't way over in NJ! =P

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Xanis
If you're looking for a cool atmosphere, try Mars 2112 or Jekyl & Hyde's. I've been to both... the atmospheres are cool and the food is pretty good.

Jekyl and Hyde is annoying as hell...only tourists go there.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: ABitTooSpicy
Originally posted by: Josh

Oh, if we are talking Japanese then you HAVE to try the following two places:

Go Japanese Restaurant - 30 Saint Marks Pl
Not your regular rolls/sushi place, a little more traditional. Try the okonomiaki, the octopus salad and the wasabi steaks. Also, it gets crowded at peak hours so be ready to wait 20+ mins.

Tamaya Restaurant - 2347 Hudson Ter, Fort Lee, NJ 07024
I don't think this place has rolls/sushi on their menu at all. A little pricey but worth it. Small place, the owner is the chef and the food is awesome. I'd go there more often if it wasn't way over in NJ! =P

Nobu?

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Ctrackstar126
I know your talking dinners but if you are there for breakfast hit one of the street stands for a bagel. You will be rather impressed.

Also go to restaurant.com and browse through the restaurants. It links to the restaurants and you can get menu and some pictures of what your dealing with. You can also grab a coupon.

a bagel at a street stand? You're kidding? Some stands actually have decent lunch food but the bagels and doughnuts are awful from the stands. They are cheap though.

Good cheap food in Manhattan is not easy to find for obvious reasons. You need to be willing to explore the outer boroughs like queens and brooklyn if you want good cheap food.

Ctrackstar126

Jul 14, 2005
Originally posted by: DBL

a bagel at a street stand? You're kidding? Some stands actually have decent lunch food but the bagels and doughnuts are awful from the stands. They are cheap though.

Good cheap food in Manhattan is not easy to find for obvious reasons. You need to be willing to explore the outer boroughs like queens and brooklyn if you want good cheap food.

I suppose it could depend on the stand. I got one a block away from bryant park and it was by far the best bagel I ever had. I suppose worst case you can go buy your bagel and if you disagree the birds would be more than happy to eat it. I actually had mine stolen by one in bryant park.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
I suppose it could depend on the stand. I got one a block away from bryant park and it was by far the best bagel I ever had. I suppose worst case you can go buy your bagel and if you disagree the birds would be more than happy to eat it. I actually had mine stolen by one in bryant park.

Anything is possible, I guess. Maybe somebody is now selling real bagels from a stand rather than the oversized round pieces of bread that you usually find.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: absolu7
in manhattan..

not too pricey please.
indian/thai/italian preffered.

but other stuff welcome.

I use to live & work in Manhatten, still go back & visit relatives. I highly recommend Carmine's in the upper West side.

When they say the portions are BIG, they ain't playin. Be careful. E.g., when I went there with my wife and son (3 of us) one order of veal parmigana was more than the three of us could eat.

So, everybody should NOT order a main dish (and so on) for themselves, way too much food.

Because of that the prices work out to be very very reasonable.

Obviously, the place is very popular. I usually go there for lunch if only to be sure to get a table.

Fern

nj

Mar 15, 2001
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: Xanis

Jekyl and Hyde is annoying as hell...only tourists go there.

I second that. It's Chuck E. Cheese's for the tourist crowd. The food is atrocious and overpriced and an hour or two wait just to get in the damn door.

Pepe Verdi To Go has very good authentic Italian. Don't expect much ambience though.

Izu is great for Thai ... although it's an offshot of the chain Lemongrass, it tastes way better.

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: ABitTooSpicy
Indian:
Jewel of India - 15 W 44th St (Really good, but a little pricey)
Tandoor - 9525 Queens Blvd (Really good, cheap too, but its in queens)
Baluchis - All over NYC (Its a chain so its hit or miss, but my experiences have been real good)

Thai:
Two places I can think of are Pongsri and Spice. However I didn't remember the address, and when I went to look it up seems they are both chains! (Learn something new everyday) So yeah find one of those and it should be good.

Pam's Real Thai on 49th and 9th. the most authentic thai in manhattan.