visiting NYC

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
I'm staying 3 days and 3 nights... Am I missing anything?

Statue of Liberty (can I still go up?)
Wall Street
Central Park (do people skate on weekdays?)
Empire State Bldg
Time Square
WTC site
Chinatown
Brooklyn Bridge

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
statue of liberty will not let you to go up above the feet.

go to museum of modern art.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Definitely take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry.
And the American Museum of Natural History/Hayden Planterium is a MUST (81st street and Central Park West)

Feb 6, 2007
You can't go up the Statie of Liberty, but you do breeze by it on the ferry to Ellis Island, so that might be a good option. Then again, you don't have any museums on your list (MOMA, Guggenheim, the Museum of Natural History, etc.), and Ellis Island is essentially just a museum, so maybe that's not your cup of tea.

Lots of people say you should catch a Broadway show while you're there, but if you haven't planned that out already, it's probably way too late to get tickets.

I went to New York a few years back and my favorite memories were just walking around. We walked up Broadway from 26th (I think) through Times Square, up to Central Park, through the park all the way to Harlem, then took the subway back. It's a fantastic city for walking around in, especially on a street like Broadway where you'll recognize landmarks every 10 feet. Central Park is absolutely amazing, had a blast just sitting there people watching.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
going to ellis island is better than waiting in line at the statue of liberty. and the boat for ellis island goes right around the statue of liberty, so you can get lots of pics. moma, guggenheim, met, and history museum are all ridiculously good.

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
Lots of people say you should catch a Broadway show while you're there, but if you haven't planned that out already, it's probably way too late to get tickets.

You can easily get tkts tickets on the date of the shows, Broadway is a must.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Sweet, thanks for the suggestions! I just want to hit all the landmarks and do museum some other time. I thought 3 days wouldn't be enough to see everything...

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Little Italy. Grab some pizza and canolies.

My pizza recommendation is Lombardi's.

ghostman

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2000
I'd agree with skipping the Statue of Liberty if you can't go up. Just hope on the Staten Island Ferry (free) and pass by it. It'll give you the necessary photo op. If the weather is decent, walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. When you're in Brooklyn, stop by Grimaldi's (excellent pizza... but Lombardi's in Little Italy is equally good). Then you can either walk back or hop on a subway back.

I've never really found the appeal of visiting the WTC site, probably because I pass through it everyday. Currently, it's just a big construction ditch and there's a wide covered fence that prevents you from getting a good view of it.

Go to Times Square at night, because it doesn't look nearly as impressive in the day. I also never saw the appeal of Wall St; other than some buildings, there's little else. Take a few photos of it in the day. It's close to the ferry/WTC, so you should be able to hit all those areas in one shot.

I'm surprised you're not taking in Broadway. You didn't mention when you're going, but tickets are generally still available (they may not be the greatest seats, but then again, they won't cost $120/person) if it's not a consistently sold out show. If the show has been out for a while, discounts can be had at broadwaybox.com or playbill.com. I never bother waiting on the TKTS line.

Central Park is nice. Consider Wollman Rink for skating. I'm not sure if row boating is still offered.

Oh, and take the subway. A taxi would be really expensive and may not always be faster given the traffic in those areas.

Lurknomore

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2005
1st night- East Harlem
2nd night- Brownsville, Brooklyn
3rd night- Howard Beach, Queens- not too far from your final stay, JFK airport.:p

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
I'm staying 3 days and 3 nights...

At what date are you visiting NYC alphatarget1?

I'll be here (already here) till Saturday.

Stuff I have already seen:
WTC site, Wall Street (NYSE and all that), Ellis Island + Statue of Liberty, Union Square, Madison Square Garden, BH Photo & Video (yeah I consider that as a tourist site), saw Brooklyn Bridge but haven't crossed it on foot yet, Chinatown, Rockeller Center (didn't go up because it costs money) and Empire State Building (didn't go up because it costs money). It's been fun so far but so tiring!

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
I'm staying 3 days and 3 nights...

At what date are you visiting NYC alphatarget1?

I'll be here (already here) till Saturday.

Stuff I have already seen:
WTC site, Wall Street (NYSE and all that), Ellis Island + Statue of Liberty, Union Square, Madison Square Garden, BH Photo & Video (yeah I consider that as a tourist site), saw Brooklyn Bridge but haven't crossed it on foot yet, Chinatown, Rockeller Center (didn't go up because it costs money) and Empire State Building (didn't go up because it costs money). It's been fun so far but so tiring!

plan to see any museums?
There's also Grand Central Terminal, a walk through Soho (better views in the summer :E), Apple store(s)... etc.

440sixpack

May 30, 2000
...I thought 3 days wouldn't be enough to see everything...

It won't be. :) Depending on one's interests there is just so much to see/do, I don't see how even Manhattan would be feasible in a short time, let alone the rest of the boroughs. I don't think I've seen mentioned the UN, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Macy's, maybe the Chrysler Building...

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: EGGO
Another for Top of the Rock at Rockerfeller.

Agreed. I went in July, and about five minutes after we walked in the door, we bought our tickets and were in the elevator. The very top was amazing because there were no walls around the edge, just waist high concrete. If you fell, you'd only fall 10 feet to the middle level, so that's how they could do it.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: 440sixpack
...I thought 3 days wouldn't be enough to see everything...

It won't be. :) Depending on one's interests there is just so much to see/do, I don't see how even Manhattan would be feasible in a short time, let alone the rest of the boroughs. I don't think I've seen mentioned the UN, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Macy's, maybe the Chrysler Building...

As far as I know, you can only walk into the lobby of the Chrysler building. It's cool inside and you can hit it on the way to the UN building, but I wouldn't go out of the way to see it. It's cool going up like eight floors in the Macy's building, but probably not worth the time if you only have a few days. The UN building was very interesting to me as you go into all of the main chambers, but you'd be pretty bored if you weren't interesting in that sort of stuff.

Yankee stadium will be gone pretty soon. I'm a baseball fan, so I had to see it once before they tear it down. Seeing the outside of the flatiron building was interesting too.