Visiting New York City

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
GF is going on a business trip and will stay a few extra days, I thought I'd fly up to meet her. Neither of us has been in NY City before. We'll probably do the typical tourist things: MET, natural history museum, show on broadway. We probably won't go very far from that area, and will mostly be walking.

What things are great to do there that are less well known? What restuarants are tasty (lots of herbs, spices, and flavor) but reasonable on the wallet? What hotels are decent in the area (but since we won't spend much time actually in the hotel, money is a determining factor)?

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
I'm staying at the new Holiday Inn Express on W 29th St. It's a couple of blocks south of Madison Square Garden and about six blocks from Empire State Bldg. Times square is only 2 subway stations away. I'm paying only $297/night for a king n/s. (I assume you're getting one bed? ;) ) The hotel itself is brand new, but it's on a very noisy street.

Other affordable hotels are Flatotel, which is near Times Square. The decor is very European. The Lucerne is also cheap and decent, but rooms are tiny! Also, Lucerne is further from Times Square.

xchangx

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
My wife and I took a TV/Movie Tour that drove us around in a bus to various locations that were on tv/movies. Like, the Ghostbuster's House, Cosby Show, Friends, etc...

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
China town. I think it's Water street. Lots of great little shops and cool food :D

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Canai
China town. I think it's Water street. Lots of great little shops and cool food :D

Mr. Roti is correct with Chinatown. Great place to find good cheap food.

I also recommend checking out the Greenwich Village. There are lots of small, cozy restaurants just south of Washington Square Park. for example, Focacceria (on the corner of MacDougal and Bleecker) is one of my favorite places. It's a small italian restaurant with a $20 3-course prix fixe.

Times Sq is such a tourist trap. Just walk through it to see the billboard and lights and crap, then never go back.

Museum Mile (5th ave from 82nd st to 105th st) is awesome if you have a buttload of time to kill.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I should have mentioned that we really aren't the bar scene type of people.

I don't know what the going rate for rooms was, but I would like to keep in around $100/night. That may not be possible though. The $297/night mentioned above as "affordable" would be way higher than I hoped to pay.

Andyb23

Oct 27, 2006
Good food - theres a lot of good Indian restaurants stocked w/ cute European and Indian waitresses.

Thats the more rare stuff. Theres tons of great Italian places in NYC (a given) as well as some really great Asian food you really can't have anywhere else in the country except the West Coast.

If you are really adventurous you may want to check out some of the Malaysian food, which is a really interesting mix of a lot of cultures.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Andyb23
Good food - theres a lot of good Indian restaurants stocked w/ cute European and Indian waitresses.

Thats the more rare stuff. Theres tons of great Italian places in NYC (a given) as well as some really great Asian food you really can't have anywhere else in the country except the West Coast.

If you are really adventurous you may want to check out some of the Malaysian food, which is a really interesting mix of a lot of cultures.
GF loves Indian, I like it (love it when prepared as a home cooked meal by my Indian friends). I like Malaysian food, the few times I've had it was at a party that a Malaysian friend put on. But she may have Americanized it a bit. Chineese and Thai are always good for both of us. My favorite is Burmese, but I've only had that once so it could have been a fluke. Korean and Japanese don't really do much for me.

Any specific recommendations in the area?

EPCrew

Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: dullard
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I should have mentioned that we really aren't the bar scene type of people.

I don't know what the going rate for rooms was, but I would like to keep in around $100/night. That may not be possible though. The $297/night mentioned above as "affordable" would be way higher than I hoped to pay.

For $100/night, you might be able to secure a nice cozy cardboard spot shared with your favorite bum.

theMan

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Canai

yeah, i think china town is definately my favorite place to go in NYC. its so... different. and, if you mean, "cool food" i assume you mean roasted cats right?

anyway, whatever you do, dont try to go to the top of the empire state building. its not worth the 5 hour wait....

EPCrew

Jun 2, 2000

GF loves Indian, I like it (love it when prepared as a home cooked meal by my Indian friends). I like Malaysian food, the few times I've had it was at a party that a Malaysian friend put on. But she may have Americanized it a bit. Chineese and Thai are always good for both of us. My favorite is Burmese, but I've only had that once so it could have been a fluke. Korean and Japanese don't really do much for me.

For Indian, you might want to venture over to Murray Hill area... Lexington and 20s-low 30s.

Andyb23

Oct 27, 2006

Penang is a great Malaysian.. chain... I guess people would call it since its spread a lot around the Northeast.

Heres a link for the best one in the NYC area: http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3718889357

I would recommend this for good Thai food: http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2...ty-i;_ylt=At.M..u5obxHbJQcwHtod4KcFmoL

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
Hey,
How old are you guys? What sorta scene do you find yourselves (comedy clubs vs. hipster dance clubs)?
Me 29: her 25. But now you've done it. I cannot legally (ATOT laws) continue without posting this.

We like ballroom dancing (picture that I linked) but not really nightclub dancing, I like comedy shoes, she likes coffee houses. Museums are a definite must. We like nature and walks. Both chemical engineers with a love of science. We both like plays (she likes more of the musical side than I do, but I'd be happy with a musical) but no Shakesphere.

Old > New
Bright, Cheery > Dark, Dingy, Cozy
Atmosphere with good food > hole in the wall with great food

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
Hey,
How old are you guys? What sorta scene do you find yourselves (comedy clubs vs. hipster dance clubs)?
Me 29: her 25. But now you've done it. I cannot legally (ATOT laws) continue without posting this.

We like ballroom dancing (picture that I linked) but not really nightclub dancing, I like comedy shoes, she likes coffee houses. Museums are a definite must. We like nature and walks. Both chemical engineers with a love of science.

Hah - cute :) Try the blue not, a lovely jazz club. Upright Citizen's Brigade Theater has some great (and affordable) comedy - sometimes famous people perform as extras in the improv shows there as well, which is always exciting. Museums - there's the usual but try to go SoHo gallery hopping as well. Cafes - I like the gret dog and joe's in the west village.. OH, you must try veniero's bakery - so good!