Visiting DC @ end of the year. Best place to snowboard? Best place to celebrate New Years?

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
For Snowboarding, what's the best place that's also very close to DC? A quick search yields Ski Liberty resort among others.

As for new years, what's a nice place around DC to hang out that's classy, very nice, and not that crowded. It has plenty of people, but not enough to drive you insane (like vegas, times square etc...)

TIA!

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
whitetail in my opinion is better than liberty. about 1.5 hours from dc.

for new years, a lot of bars in arlington (clarendon area) are fun.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Snoeshoe in WV is nearish (3 hrs). DC's ok for New Years. Downtown Countdown was OK when we did it 2 years ago, but I wouldn't necessarily do it again. Depends what you're into, give us some more details about what you'd like to do. I don't know what's going to be classy, because honestly, we're going to see a cover band at a dive to avoid the typical DC crowd. I'd personally rather do that than put up with the typical area attitude. If you want a really nice place with not much of a crowd, expect to pay (a lot) for it. Depending on the venue, they might even be sold out if they're capping attendance low.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: sjwaste
I don't know what's going to be classy, because honestly, we're going to see a cover band at a dive to avoid the typical DC crowd. I'd personally rather do that than put up with the typical area attitude. If you want a really nice place with not much of a crowd, expect to pay (a lot) for it. Depending on the venue, they might even be sold out if they're capping attendance low.

ahh ic, that makes sense...

As for the snowboarding options, I'll keep those in mind. I'll check out the bars in Arlington area. I meant classy as in just chill. Not too rowdy, and good conversational fun. A place where everyone just behaves. Doing new years in times square and vegas, although an experience, is something i'd rather not do again.

I'm visiting my cousins and bro and their friends in DC. We're all about 22-27 years of age (26 me). Going to a live band performance sounds pretty sweet though.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: sjwaste
Snoeshoe in WV is nearish (3 hrs). DC's ok for New Years. Downtown Countdown was OK when we did it 2 years ago, but I wouldn't necessarily do it again. Depends what you're into, give us some more details about what you'd like to do. I don't know what's going to be classy, because honestly, we're going to see a cover band at a dive to avoid the typical DC crowd. I'd personally rather do that than put up with the typical area attitude. If you want a really nice place with not much of a crowd, expect to pay (a lot) for it. Depending on the venue, they might even be sold out if they're capping attendance low.

Snowshoe is the best area besides the northeast.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I forget where I went last year for NY but it was like $75/person and was open bar all night and was not too crowded at all. It also has a restaraunt/hooka lounge. If I can remember the name of it I'll post it back.

Funyuns101

Platinum Member
Jun 15, 2002
Whitetail and Liberty are pretty similar (seems like they're owned by the same company) and both are about 1.5 hours away from DC with Whitetail being better by most peoples' opinions.
Mostly everyone considers Snoeshoe in WV to be much, much better than the two above... ~3-4 hrs
You can venture of to western MD and hit Wisp as well which should be about 3 hours - pretty big but not much of a ski town/night-life from what I've been told.

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
People ski/snowbord on the east coast? I've been there a few times, I don't remember any mountains. There were a few decent sized hills but no mountains.

RedCOMET

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Torghn
People ski/snowbord on the east coast? I've been there a few times, I don't remember any mountains. There were a few decent sized hills but no mountains.

Ouch...there are mnts in PA,NY and new england that are pretty good.

My favs are:
Killington/Pico
Stowe
Sugarbush
Okema
SundayRiver

I learned to ski and snowboard in the Poconos PA at Shawnee mountain and Alpine mountain.