VisionTek GeForce 256 SDR ($122) VS GeForce2 MX($119)

IrishBastard

Jun 29, 2000
Should I buy the VisionTek or hold out for the
GF2 MX? I read the reviews and now I'm thinking hold out. I will use it mostly for gaming (Q3A,
half-life, and Q2)as well as the new games coming
out soon. Any opinions, both are great deals.
Thanks! IB

(Chanse)

Oct 11, 1999
I just see it as at it's worst, the MX will be comparable to the SDR Geforce, but in some situations, superior, can't really complain. and the dual head is gonna rule

Agamar

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, from the benchmarks, it looks like the MX should drive prices down for the SDR 1st gen geforce. The MX is a bit faster overall, and of course it is cheaper than the SDR geforce :)

SUOrangeman

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I'd be surprised if GF2 MX cards really debuted at $120. I think they'll start higher and then drop to that level.

If not, then a SDR or an MX card for $100 is in *my* future.

-SUO

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
the ol' 256 SDR will no doubt be discontinued as soon as the MX is launched. There is no reason for it. Good news is the price will drop like a dropping thing. Bad news is they aren't as good featurewise and require noisy fans for cooling. I would not get an 256 SDR unless is was significantly cheaper. Anyone know if the MX can have a VIVO card added to it like the GTS and when they are going to be available? I haven't heard anything about them.

koeizen

May 30, 2000
I am sure $119 will be for a no frills 32mb SDR board. Asus has already posted its pricing for Australia
http://www.insanehardware.com/scoopage/asusv7100/index.htm

its $169 without TV out or DVI. This price is higher for a couple of reasons. First its retail pricing and the street price is always cheaper. Its Australia and I don't know what pricing there is like plus it will probably be out later there than in the US. It comes with a heatsink which isn't part of the reference design and so that adds cost. It has a game bundle and other software. I am sure at a minimum that an OEM board will reach $119 or a software free/ heatsinkless board like from Visiontek would hit that price of $119. nVidia made this card so they can get some profits as the .18 micron is cheaper to make than the .25 micron toaster that is the GeForce1 which requires a bigger PCB and active cooling. Also we are blessed with pricewatch which I used along with a bigbigsavings.com coupon to get a Leadtek 64mb GeForce2 for under $300.

ASK THE COMMUNITY