Virus Completely took Over My Laptop's Security

x2rtion

Mar 4, 2011
I got this security-window pop-up wanting to open task manager. I kept hitting No and X but it wouldn't go away. Like an idiot, I hit Yes to make it go away. Now I have this virus that won't let me run a firewall or antivirus. The only way I know of deleting viruses is with an antivirus. So I'm completely lost here.
The only thing I can think of, is taking my HDD out and adding it to my desktop as an additional hard drive and scanning it for viruses from there. I'm not too sure about this, though. I don't want the virus to spread to my desktop, too.
Any help you could offer without having to reformat, would be just excellent :thumbsup:

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Is this windows? You could try booting into safe mode (click f8 right after the bios screen) and then run malwarebytes antimalware...download it to a flash drive from your desktop, then install/run it while you are in safe mode on your laptop.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
In addition to Wyndru's suggestion, you might want to download Microsoft System Sweeper. It is an anti-malware ISO that you burn to a CD, and then boot from, to clean your system. Just make sure you download the correct version for your system, 32 bit or 64 bit.

http://connect.microsoft.com/systemsweeper

-KeithP

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I agree with Wyndru that that is one windows option to try. Another is using system restore to restore your computer to an earlier time which can sometimes work also. And to add to the Wyndru suggestion, the free version of Avast AV is often the easiest to install AV to install in safemode.

In short, I hope one of those suggestions will work, but if you can disable your virus in any way, you have your wake up call, get up better security system to prevent it happening again. Keep us posted, because time is very important.

I should also point out, I ran into a similar situation when repairing a neighbors desk top. Again it prevented Malware bytes from being installed in anything but safemode. But in safe mode it installed, and once it ran, Malwarebytes could identify the virus but could not remove it. Ultimately subsequent research using another computer enableabled me to simply use the the windows start up list to prevent the virus from starting, so it was good as dead.

Last edited:

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
In addition to Wyndru's suggestion, you might want to download Microsoft System Sweeper. It is an anti-malware ISO that you burn to a CD, and then boot from, to clean your system. Just make sure you download the correct version for your system, 32 bit or 64 bit.

-KeithP

Wow, thanks for that link, I never knew this even existed! :thumbsup:

I should also point out, I ran into a similar situation when repairing a neighbors desk top. Again it prevented Malware bytes from being installed in anything but safemode. But in safe mode it installed, and once it ran, Malwarebytes could identify the virus but could not remove it. Ultimately subsequent research using another computer enableabled me to simply use the the windows start up list to prevent the virus from starting, so it was good as dead.

I've ran combofix on viruses/malware that malwarebytes couldn't fix with varying results, so that's something else you could try if you are still having issues. A lot of times rootkits get detected by malwarebytes but not fully removed. This is where combofix shines. I would do this as a last result though, as it seems to reset a lot of system settings to default (like proxy settings, local host files, etc...)

Last edited:

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
Have you tried a system restore bud??

That might get rid of it then you can run something and make sure its completely gone..

Good luck!

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
insert linux live disro of your choice, wait for it to boot, run AV from there on the HDD

x2rtion

Mar 4, 2011
Thanks guys. I deleted the viruses, and Firewall works again, but Security Essentials still doesn't work. My touchpad and keyboard don't work either now. I'm also getting this .exe file that's asking me for permission to open. I know it's just another virus trying to get in.
This seems more complicated than I can handle. Now that the viruses are gone, I think I'll just backup any important files, and have to reformat my hard drive after all.

the182guy

Sep 28, 2011
If you backup and format then at least you'll be sure it's gone. I agree with Rifterut though, running AV from a different OS to that of the infected OS is a good idea because the virus infects all sorts of OS info which you call on startup.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001

-KeithP
Thanks for that, I am giving it a try. My client has one of those bugs that disables restore, hides all folders and start menu items, and redirects like mad.
I could get into another administrator account with limited functionality, but never get permissions to dig int the infected users docs and settings. "permission denied".
Safe mode, cmd, it did not matter.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Just a guess, but this wouldn't be the filecure virus would it? If so, I would reload the OS and start from fresh. That bug was so invasive, it had about 7-10 different registry entries.