Virtualization versus Dual Booting....70-680 Question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JWMiddleton, Jul 8, 2011.

1. JWMiddleton

JWMiddleton Diamond Member

I am taking a prep class for MCTS: Win 7. A question I came accross is not covered in the book.

Q: In which situation is dual booting required because virtualization is not able to perform the task?

A.) Installing and testing new applications
    B.) Installing and testing new device drivers
    C.) Installing and testing service packs
    D.) Installing and testing security updates

The book states that dual booting would be used for testing new service packs, drivers or software to ensure it does not affect their daily work if unstable. That covers 3 of the items above. But, no where does it talk about what can't be perform with virualization. I know Linux can be installed in a VM which has all of the above. So,is this just a crappy question, or am I missing something?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Virtualization versus Dual Forum Date
    Ryzen 1400 OC to 3.8Ghz+, as the basis for new budget (mid-range?) gaming builds, versus G4560? General Hardware May 29, 2017
    Build me a VR gaming PC General Hardware Aug 18, 2016
    build help - virtualization lab (likely Hyper-V) General Hardware Jul 16, 2016
    Advice for building a small virtual server host? General Hardware Apr 10, 2016
    Need suggestions for a virtualization/media server General Hardware Dec 6, 2015

3. Syran

Syran Golden Member

Generally, I would say B, as most virtualized environments do not pass through the actual computer components, but some form of standardized set of hardware that may not even fit what you have. I've used virtual machines for A, C, and D; but never for B.

4. mvbighead

mvbighead Diamond Member

I agree 100% with Syran. There isn't much of a way to test device drivers in Virtualization, as the hardware is virtual. Everything else above can be tested, but not B.

5. JWMiddleton

JWMiddleton Diamond Member

I see your point. The book does mention Virualized hardware, but doesn't go into it.

Thanks!

6. mvbighead

mvbighead Diamond Member

Yes, essentially virtualized hardware is software emulated hardware. So, if you have 10 virtual machines on host, all of them have the same video card driver, chipset driver, etc. There are a few different varieties of devices per VM (such as different types of virtual NICs), but whether you're running an LSI SCSI controller or a Dell PERC, a VM does not care nor see that hardware, as that is handled by the Hypervisor itself.

7. mfenn

mfenn Elite Member <br> Currently on <BR> Moderator Sabb
    Super Moderator

:thumbsup: Yep, 100% correct.

8. classy

classy Lifer

B

That is really common sense really.