Question Virtualization Machine - Intel or AMD?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JayMX

Oct 18, 2022
Hello I am looking to build a new computer which I want to use as a VM host - I use Windows Hyper-V (hypervisor) sometimes VirtualBox too. Doing some research (not extensive) I read that latest big/little Intel CPUs have issues with Virtualization in that p/e cores are assigned in a random manner (?) or not optimally, hence hampering performance of VMs. Is this true and if yes to what extent? Also read some people disabling e-cores but I wouldn't like to do that.

On the other hand AMD offers same type of high performance cores so theoretically there shouldn't be an issue - but never worked on AMD machine before so would appreciate any kind of tip or things to watch out.

I am looking at the latest offers from both, either Zen4 or Raptor Lake platforms preferably with DDR5 for the ECC support.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Do not really have a lot off time to answer, but need to mention:

Gen 1 hyperv defaults to virtual IDE interface for the HDD. This is slow. IDE can only issue 1 operation at a time.

Quick hacks:
Give the VM four gig of memory and get rid of the page file.

Mount a second file drive as the page file drive.

Does not matter if in the same drive as your os drive file, you have doubled your IOPs.

Mount a second drive in the VM as a SCSI drive. This is the best fix to sluggish gen1 hyperV VMs.

----------
The real fix is to switch to gen2 VM and mount your boot drive as virtual SCSI, but this is not always possible.

Last edited: