Virginia news crew shot to death on air

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Hey how about that guys! It seems secular progressives and atheists are too blame for this tragedy, who knew?

http://www.examiner.com/article/fox...nd-secular-progressives-for-virginia-shooting

"Every single murderer over 40 years that I have covered in these circumstances has been either atheistic, agnostic, no religious basis at all.” -Bill ORielly

Another example of just how full of shit the guy is. His involvement with the Dr. Tiller assassination alone should make him know better, but here he is spewing the shit all the same, and his followers lap it up.

Last edited:

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Serious question, when is it acceptable to talk about gun control? What's the waiting period?

As best as I can tell, the answer is 'never'. When there hasn't been a mass shooting in a while there's no need to change the law because things are fine. When a mass shooting happens 'now is not the time to discuss it' all the way up until a mass shooting hasn't happened in a while again. It's a transparent attempt to shut down debate.

Gun control isn't the issue, never has been, Narrative control is.

You want to control gun ownership? Pass an amendment to the Constitution.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Hey how about that guys! It seems secular progressives and atheists are too blame for this tragedy, who knew?

http://www.examiner.com/article/fox...nd-secular-progressives-for-virginia-shooting

"Every single murderer over 40 years that I have covered in these circumstances has been either atheistic, agnostic, no religious basis at all.” -Bill ORielly

Another example of just how full of shit the guy is. His involvement with the Dr. Tiller assassination alone should make him know better, but here he is spewing the shit all the same, and his followers lap it up.

This is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever seen Bill O'Reilly say. The very shooter he's reacting to was a Jehovah's Witness and ABC even says this:

He said Jehovah spoke to him, telling him to act.
(http://abcnews.go.com/US/shooting-alleged-gunman-details-grievances-suicide-notes/story?id=33336339)

Note that ABC News was one of the direct recipients of his letters so this is probably credible.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Gun control isn't the issue, never has been, Narrative control is.

You want to control gun ownership? Pass an amendment to the Constitution.

An amendment is not necessary to control gun ownership. It already happens to varying degrees all over the country.

I'm not sure how you got the idea that the second amendment prohibits all control of gun ownership, but its seriously wrongheaded.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
An amendment is not necessary to control gun ownership. It already happens to varying degrees all over the country.

I'm not sure how you got the idea that the second amendment prohibits all control of gun ownership, but its seriously wrongheaded.

The USSC already struck that down, but you've already forgotten what happened when Chicago tried it. You can delay gun ownership, and can even prevent carrying firearms in public (to a point), but you ultimately can't prevent a law-abiding citizen from owning guns. From your perspective I suppose that sucks, but that's just the way it is.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Not to mention the entire Islam thing. G-d is probably one of the most often used excuses for murder.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Not to mention the entire Islam thing. G-d is probably one of the most often used excuses for murder.

Mass murder perhaps, but not just murder. I don't think your standard murders that happen dozens of times a day in this country have people trying to attribute the reasoning to a god. I do think guns are at fault, but by that I mean the gun culture. The US has this prevalent concept of "might makes right" and the gun is the ultimate embodiment of that concept. All you have to do is look at the NRA to see that a large number of gun owners are paranoid sociopaths and schizophrenics. And you can see how people that are disconnected from reality, that have access to guns, and who think that exerting their power through use of that gun will make them right in the end has become a serious issue in this nation.

The thing is that attempting to abolish or ban guns won't fix it, and can't be accomplished even if tried. But the culture needs to change. Hollywood glorifies violence, the NRA pushes paranoia and fear while glorifying how your guns will fix everything and that women and minorities are the problem, the religious right has somehow become convinced that Jesus wants you to pray to your gun only slightly less than to Jesus. We've become a nation partially populated with a violent, insane religious cult that worships the firearm and it's sick and disgusting.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The USSC already struck that down, but you've already forgotten what happened when Chicago tried it. You can delay gun ownership, and can even prevent carrying firearms in public (to a point), but you ultimately can't prevent a law-abiding citizen from owning guns. From your perspective I suppose that sucks, but that's just the way it is.

I'm sorry, but you don't understand what you're talking about.

You cannot ban all gun ownership, but you can most certainly control the type of guns that can be purchased and what can be done with them. That's why it's called 'gun control' and not 'gun abolishment'.

From my perspective that's perfectly fine as I think the 2nd amendment provides an individual right to own a weapon, even though studies strongly suggest that for the average person owning a gun is foolish. Funny how you assume things though, haha.

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
Hollywood glorifies violence, the NRA pushes paranoia and fear while glorifying how your guns will fix everything and that women and minorities are the problem, the religious right has somehow become convinced that Jesus wants you to pray to your gun only slightly less than to Jesus.

this is schtick right?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I'm sorry, but you don't understand what you're talking about.

You cannot ban all gun ownership, but you can most certainly control the type of guns that can be purchased and what can be done with them. That's why it's called 'gun control' and not 'gun abolishment'.

From my perspective that's perfectly fine as I think the 2nd amendment provides an individual right to own a weapon, even though studies strongly suggest that for the average person owning a gun is foolish. Funny how you assume things though, haha.

right, but the types of firearms people seem to want controlled/banned are 1) used in an incredible small percentage of overall firearm homicides and 2) fall under the "in common use" part of Heller.

handguns cannot be banned because they are in common use (per Heller). The AR-15 platform (which so many people like to target) in theory cannot be banned - it is the most popular rifle sold in the US, and is therefore also "in common use". In theory, anyway.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013

When can we start talking about ENDING gun ownership?

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
this is schtick right?
It's an accurate description of the insanity of the gun culture of this country. The far right has used the NRA to push a view of gun ownership that is utterly insane. And the NRA is currently run according to the racist and sexist agenda of Wayne LaPierre, note the quote in my sig.

In general it's best to avoid listening to Bober as well. He's a worthless human being with the IQ of the shit my dog took this morning who has never made a single worthwhile contribution to this forum (which is being somewhat insulting to my dog to indicate the piece of shit that was temporarily in her is near as much of a piece of shit as Bober is).

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Every fucking time a gun related tragedy happens two more things happen: first, the left demand more gun control and to ban certain weapons; and second, gun sales go through the roof. These two reactions are not uncommon, they are in fact nearly 100% predictable.

So, in summary, the greatest salesman the gun makers have is the left!

Brian

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Every fucking time a gun related tragedy happens two more things happen: first, the left demand more gun control and to ban certain weapons; and second, gun sales go through the roof. These two reactions are not uncommon, they are in fact nearly 100% predictable.

So, in summary, the greatest salesman the gun makers have is the left!

Brian

I sold roughly 30 M16 magazines for $20-$60 a piece after Sandy Hook.

And no, banning all guns is stupid and will not stop criminals from acquiring them. This is already proven.

EduCat

Feb 28, 2012
I sold roughly 30 M16 magazines for $20-$60 a piece after Sandy Hook.

And no, banning all guns is stupid and will not stop criminals from acquiring them. This is already proven.

Isn't the issue more so 'the good guy who suddenly isnt' rather then actual full fledged criminals. I think people have watched too many Hollywood movies.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Isn't the issue more so 'the good guy who suddenly isnt' rather then actual full fledged criminals. I think people have watched too many Hollywood movies.

You're probably right in this case. By all appearances he seems like a normal guy before hand. A few things have come up after, but nobody knew at the time. He obviously had issues, but so many people do and don't do what he did either. I was speaking more of the career criminal types shooting up neighborhoods.

EduCat

Feb 28, 2012
You're probably right in this case. By all appearances he seems like a normal guy before hand. A few things have come up after, but nobody knew at the time. He obviously had issues, but so many people do and don't do what he did either. I was speaking more of the career criminal types shooting up neighborhoods.

The problem is, is that whenever anything happens like this, we are right back to this same discussion. Almost 100% of the time. Yes, maybe on the south side of Chiraq there are 'career criminals' that are engaged in some hardcore gang warfare, but what does that have to do with a case like this?
You bring up Chiraq and it's a totally different discussion. Poverty, class warfare, straight up lack of opportunity, etc.

Eventually we are going to have to deal with the situation where people do everything right and still get the shaft, and are left angry and hopeless. Couple all of that with the fact that old people are now on the internet and here we are today.

EduCat

Feb 28, 2012
Old people are now on the internet ?

Sorry, I just found that one a bit amusing.

LoL Yea. I can't really say my grandparents said a whole lot of crazy stuff but I sure wouldn't have brought them anywhere to do any public speaking on social issues. Nowadays they just hop on Facebook and spout their bigoted messages, fake photoshopped pictures, hate, etc. All of a sudden we are living in 'the worst times our nation has ever faced.' LOL! Two days ago it was the muslims, yesterday the illegals, today the hoodrats of Chiraq.

It's not everyone :D, and of course there are bigots and such from different generations, but this is the first senile generation to have the net IMO. Huge problem. We'll probably all go through it though, tbh.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. :whiste:

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
When can we start talking about ENDING gun ownership?

I'm sure you'll take point without a gun on all the raids to collect those guns once your dream of ownership is ended. Not that it will ever happen.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's an accurate description of the insanity of the gun culture of this country. The far right has used the NRA to push a view of gun ownership that is utterly insane. And the NRA is currently run according to the racist and sexist agenda of Wayne LaPierre, note the quote in my sig.

In general it's best to avoid listening to Bober as well. He's a worthless human being with the IQ of the shit my dog took this morning who has never made a single worthwhile contribution to this forum (which is being somewhat insulting to my dog to indicate the piece of shit that was temporarily in her is near as much of a piece of shit as Bober is).

I have it on good authority that thraashman jerks off to pictures of Sarah Palin clubbing a baby seal.