Virginia: Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2004
Planning a trip there. I was wondering if one day per park is enough.

Also, where to stay? Any tips or tricks while there?

Basically any advice on either park would be appreciated. We're doing this as a long weekend this summer. We have two kids age 8 and 10. The 8 year old (Hoping she hits 50" by the time we go) will ride anything. The 10 year (I think he is near 54" right now) old gets nervous when it is time to actually do big rides.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
One day per park would be enough for most people. On a summer weekend crowds/lines will be a problem and kids that age will tire easily. Budget your time wisely and prioritize the rides/attractions most important to you. I'd bet you don't get to do everything you want.

Sep 29, 2004
That was easy. Thanks for the advice. Now I can plan appropriately.

I think we are doing:
day 1: park A
day 2: historic site(s)
day 3: park B

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
If you get there at opening and stay till closing you'll get to see/ride eveything. On the busiest days you may have trouble if you want to do some of the most popular rides multiple times.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
one day at kings dominion is definitely enough. my wife and i usually go once a year but we just drive there, it's like 90 minutes or so away.

we always go like early june before schools get out, on like a tuesday. we usually get there right when they open and are ready to leave by like 6pm or so and have gone on everything we have wanted to, which usually includes every roller coaster, the white water canyon and log flume, and then all of the stuff in the water park. have to hit up the lazy river a few times while there! and also other random rides we want to go on.

gameplan wise, i'd recommend when you get in, kind of make a "circle" around the park, going to the left side first where the berserker ride is (the pirate ship that flips upside down). then you can kind of hit up all of the rides making a circle this way, and then after that go on the water rides like log flume, white water canyon, that are over on the right side of the park. then after all that, go to the water park. that's our typical path and it works out well, and then when we're done with the water park we're just ready to grab some food then leave.

we sit in the front of all roller coasters too. usually the longest wait is like 15 minutes for the front. most of them, you have like 2-3 groups infront of you before you go.

i've been there in the middle of the summer on a weekend, and that is a time i would not recommend. it's been probably 7 years since i've done that, but i remember waiting in lines for like 45 minutes to an hour, if not more. just not worth it to me. if you can swing going during the week in the middle of summer, i'd recommend that over the weekend for sure.

as far as hotels, i'm not sure exactly but it's right off 95. i'd just go somehwere that is cheap and not more than like 10 minutes away or so. parking i believe is like $10 or $15 at KD too.

Last edited:

Legios

Feb 12, 2013
My 8 year old can ride nearly everything except the intimidator. He is right around 49-50 inches. There is a spot where you can get measured up and then get a color coded wristband which all the rides will have a Key out front that tells you what colors will make the cut. Nothing sucks more than waiting in line then getting measured and told sorry he is too short. We always go on Mothers Day and can ride everything at will with the only line being if you want to ride up front.

RelaxTheMind

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2002
busch gardens: make a bee line for the big rides one after the other, its not an "open world" like disneyworld and people tend to follow a clockwise or counterclockwise route. late lunch/early dinner at oktoberfest for the food/show. get there like 15-20m before a show for seating as lines can take a bit and a lot of people take up seats without even eating.

depending on how big of a history buff you are and if you do guided tours the historic sites in the williamsburg area can take a few days.

Sep 29, 2004
We have to do one of these parks on a weekend day. So I think it would make sense to go to the smaller of the two parks on the weekend. Which is smaller/less busy on the weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.